• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Soldering Iron recommendation?

Soldering 150A Anderson connectors is easy work with one of these;

butane1583725674.jpg

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/butane-micro-torch/A-p0141010e
Yes, I use something similar. Fast and easy.

I use an old Weller D550 for heavy work. It is not like the new D550's today. Weller kept the model number but changed the ratings. The old D550 that I have is dual heat at 240/325 watts whereas the new ones today are only 200/260 watts. I can use it on coaxial connectors and even large copper flashing without a problem.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I've used this one for a few years and has worked really well. Heats really quick and doesn't lose heat when working on larger projects. Hakko fx 888D. I wish they had of went with different styling but aside from that it works really wellView attachment 35047

I have the older version,836 plain looking but works well.
Picked up a set of teweezer irons NIB for less than $100 in clearance
Also have the 808 Desoldering kit. If you do a lot of work on older through hole boards
a good de-soldering set up will save a lot of grief..

Since the 50’s I’ve been using the WEN soldering gun model 199k for all my heavy work. I built many Heathkits and repaired tube radios with them over the years. For me, nothing else will do. WEN stopped production of these sometime in the late 60’s. Fortunately you can find good used ones on Ebay. Tips sold separately are difficult to find anymore, so look closely at the Ebay photos to make sure the gun comes with one or more good tips. Don’t be fooled in buying one that has a Weller tip. It will work, but that tip is vastly inferior. It takes a little time getting used to this gun. Just be aware that if the tip is not touching anything, it will only take about 5 seconds for it to get red hot. You’re basically controlling the tips temperature by your trigger action. Take care not to drop this model. The Bakelite case is very bridle. I own three of these guns. Two of them have been glued together several times from being knocked around. As my prized possession, the third gets rarely used.

Sometimes the capabilities of conventional soldering iron are not enough and you have to use a soldering station

To choose the right soldering station, you need to know the design and technical parameters, as well as why you will use it:
1. The heating element and its type. Today, the bulk of the devices, among which you can choose, have 2 types - ceramic and nichrome. Ceramic ones quickly heat up, but they can burst due to uneven heating; if there is a heat stabilizer, all this will not happen, it will control the temperature and the device will last longer. Nichrome quickly fails and is not suitable for frequent use. It costs significantly less than ceramics.
2. The temperature adjustment range should be whiter than wide.
3. The heating rate.
4. Power. To choose a soldering station by capacity, you must initially know the area of operation of the device: telephones, laptops, tablets or household appliances, etc.
5. Voltage; weight, size, shape, etc.
I think the Weller WE1010NA or X-Tronic Model 3020-XTS soldering station is suitable for you.
It is also worth looking at the top soldering stations here https://solderingironguide.com/reviews/best-soldering-stations/ so as not to make a mistake in choosing.

Yep, same exact machine I use here on the ranch.
It'll weld anything ……...
Mine ain't no silly bobcat tho! Gots da Trailblazer 300NT, Kubota diesel. Only couple cylinoids and a expandable plug to fit hole where fuel guage busted up. Are necessary replacements. Used to have wooden dowl in there for some time, but decided to upgrade to plug.

Reactions: Ranch55 and 2NC995
This is what you want for heavy solder jobs. It is a solder iron attachment for a propane torch. I have one out in my shop. Aint nuttin that won't solder. LOL This is just a pic I found online but it is the ONLY pic I could find of one. This shows the iron tip attachment and the propane torch head it is connected too. Not even sure if you can still get them. I guard mine very selfishly.

$_59.JPG

This is what you want for heavy solder jobs. It is a solder iron attachment for a propane torch. I have one out in my shop. Aint nuttin that won't solder. LOL This is just a pic I found online but it is the ONLY pic I could find of one. This shows the iron tip attachment and the propane torch head it is connected too. Not even sure if you can still get them. I guard mine very selfishly.

View attachment 35639
Never seen one before. I think now it's use a MAP gas tip with O2 and propane. Love to find one of those old hand torches used for leading on cars.

Sometimes the capabilities of conventional soldering iron are not enough and you have to use a soldering station

To choose the right soldering station, you need to know the design and technical parameters, as well as why you will use it:
1. The heating element and its type. Today, the bulk of the devices, among which you can choose, have 2 types - ceramic and nichrome. Ceramic ones quickly heat up, but they can burst due to uneven heating; if there is a heat stabilizer, all this will not happen, it will control the temperature and the device will last longer. Nichrome quickly fails and is not suitable for frequent use. It costs significantly less than ceramics.
2. The temperature adjustment range should be whiter than wide.
3. The heating rate.
4. Power. To choose a soldering station by capacity, you must initially know the area of operation of the device: telephones, laptops, tablets or household appliances, etc.
5. Voltage; weight, size, shape, etc.
I think the Weller WE1010NA or X-Tronic Model 3020-XTS soldering station is suitable for you.
It is also worth looking at the top soldering stations here https://solderingironguide.com/reviews/best-soldering-stations/ so as not to make a mistake in choosing.
Welcome!

Haha, a torch, thats insanity. Depends on your budget and what your needs are. Just soldering power wire, 80w weller. Cant go wrong

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.