• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Solid vs stranded coax

NeoHam

New Again
Mar 27, 2012
MidMichigan
I am trying to understand the difference in the RG8 (suffix) coaxes. How does solid vs stranded compare? What about foam? What about 213 & 214 & 9913? Is RG-8X not as good? Is 8U better? I ran across this:
"RG8u Coax Cable with a much lower loss than RG58"

Last edited:

Solid core coax isn't as flexible as the stranded. If you are going to re-arrange your setup a lot; I would get stranded coax instead. I use stranded for every application.

You didn't say what band you needed the coax for. For VHF and UHF, the coax quality requirements are greater than it is for the HF band.

For UHF/VHF, a coax like LMR-400 is ideal - so long as the length needed is 70 ft or less. More than 70 ft will need a better grade than the LMR-400.

Coax will lose receive and transmit quality on VHF/UHF if one isn't conscious of that fact.

As far as HF band goes, coax isn't a real factor until you get to the 12m band and above. Below 12m, the quality of coax chosen becomes a smaller factor. The brand of coax will be pivotal in terms of cable loss. Stick with a decent brand.

On the HF band, many will use either 300 ohm line, 450 ohm window line, or 600 ladder line to feed a dipole. Some use coax too. Depends on the type of antenna and if a balun is needed too.

I use Belden and LMR and nothing less when it comes to coax. Best to use the Belden or LMR RG-8 coax TYPE for UHF/VHF. On the HF band though, I use Belden 9913/RG-8 type and LMR-240/RG-58 type.

RG-213 is a TYPE of coax. It is a military spec coax. Many different mfrs make it. Fine coax for HF but not-so-great for a long UHF/VHF run.

I would stick to the better brands and better coax types that will last longer and give you better overall performance. You will pay more initially; but it pays you back in sensitivity and durability.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I am trying to understand the difference in the RG8 (suffix) coaxes.

RG8 (with various suffixes) used to be "Military Specification" (MILSPEC) cable, meaning that it met the requirements listed in purchase documents listed by the military. RG8, basically, is 50 ohm cable, with an outside diameter of 0.405 inches. Beyond that, consult the manufacturer of the particular piece of coax.

The exception is RG8X, sometimes called "Mini-X" and other things. It also has a characteristic impedance of 50 ohms, but its OD is closer to 0.25 inch.

How does solid vs stranded compare?

Stranded center conductor coax is more flexible. Remember to compare "flexibility" among cables of the same OD.

What about foam?

Foam dielectric generally is quite flexible, but because the dielectric isn't solid, it can't take rough handling, or being stepped on or driven on. Many types of foam-dielectric coax will be completely ruined by that.

What about 213 & 214 & 9913?

RG-213 is excellent general purpose coax for HF through at least 2 meters. It is currently a MILSPEC cable (see above). RG-214 is essentially the same stuff, but it's got a double shield and is therefore a little "thicker" in terms of OD. It's pretty much overkill.

9913 has had some problems in the past with water intrusion. I haven't used any of it since the very early days, and I never used it outdoors. What it's like today, I couldn't say.

Is RG-8X not as good? Is 8U better? I ran across this:
"RG8u Coax Cable with a much lower loss than RG58"

RG-8X is smaller than RG-8. Neither is MILSPEC.
Generally, for a given frequency and a given length of coax, a larger OD cable will have lower loss.

Mi dos centavos.

Reactions: 1 person
I already have LMR400 for VHF. I am adding HF up to 10 Meters. So there is no difference between stranded and solid? Is it harder to solder? 213 & 9913 are identical?

As far as the signal goes there is virtually no difference.

Stranded wire bends easier. That being said, the thicker coaxes are stiff even when using a stranded core.

If I have to solder I prefer stranded.

The dielectric used in the coax will make more of a difference than if the wire is stranded or solid.

The DB

I already have LMR400 for VHF. I am adding HF up to 10 Meters. So there is no difference between stranded and solid? Is it harder to solder? 213 & 9913 are identical?

See my earlier post (in red) concerning difference between stranded and solid. Google is your friend for information like this:

Common Coax Data by dxzone.com

Use Google Images for an idea of the difference in construction between 9913 and RG-213.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.