• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Some 50Volt Technology

Tough question to answer. Could I build a better amp? Yes. Would it be practical for mobile use? Yes and it would not use a voltage booster to get 50 volts from 12 volts either. it would use straight 12 volts. 50 volts is for base use.Would it be practically priced? Depends on what you call practical. I have built a couple class ab 2x MRF-454 amps in the past for others many years ago, They were wideband covering 3.5-30 MHz for ham use and were based mainly on the Motorola engineering bulletin EB63. I have also built a few small tube amps for base use. My current project is reworking a one kilowatt television amplifier for use on 6m. It uses four MRF-151G MOSFETS.After that I may tackle another MRF-151G project for 2m. As far as ability....yes I certainly have it. I worked on commercial broadcast equipment for 22 years involving everything from tubes to MOSFETS and from the AM broadcast band up to 1.7 GHz.

My comments above stem from the fact that a dynamic power supply, one that is not regulated and allows the voltage to swing up and down with current draw, will cause the amplifier to have relatively poor IMD (Inter-Modulation Distortion) performance causing it to generate spurious emissions. It's an undeniable fact bound by the laws of physics. Also since most 11m amplifiers are class C my comments about any linearity being a happy accident ring quite truthful. Class C is not linear.

What BBI is doing in his video is nothing that has not been known or used for probably a decade or two. MOSFETS have been used since the 1980's in RF amplifiers. It just seems to be new to CB however unfortunately the MOSFETS being used about 98% of the time were never meant for RF but rather switching applications. They just happen to "work" at 27 MHz. If REAL RF type MOSFETS were used there would be a big leap in performance. Amateur radios and commercial gear have been using them for decades with GREAT success.

Thanks for the education. When are you building mine?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the education. When are you building mine?

hell-freezes-over.jpg

:laugh: :LOL:

Reactions: 3 people
I guess a 50v 16 pill BBI amp will easily do 1.21 jiggawatts.
1000 watts peak out of a 2 pill is 10 x LMAO!

Last edited:
BBI is a scammer of fools that will listen to his BS and then buy his product. At least the repair guys will have work for a while!!

BBI is a scammer of fools that will listen to his BS and then buy his product. At least the repair guys will have work for a while!!

I don't think he is a scammer. I think he actually believes his BS. Now that is scary.

Reactions: 3 people
That is truly scary lol. He will learn the hard way. It is just amazing how many people actually believe the BS that he speaks. Then they can't understand why the amp isn't doing the watts it was in the videos lol. Man don't get me started. It is what it is, like I said, it will come around and get him one day, until then all we can do is laugh and like I said at least it keeps the repair guys busy lol.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.