• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Some of you guys need to learn how to bid on auction sites

ElectronTubesRule

Sep 6, 2011
Going on ebay with out setting a price limit on the item you plan to bid on is like going to a Frat party with no game plan.

Some of you guys are total marks and ebay has sen you coming!The idea of an auction is not to be the guy that wins the auction at all cost! The idea is to get an item for less then you would spend retail for a used item or at a swap meet or from Craigs List or classifieds in local newspaper etc..... It never fails that some fool will spend more for the used item on ebay they could by it from HRO used! I often see people get close enough to the retail price to have been able to buy said item new or as a demo with just a few more weeks of saving!

I understand their are people with more money then brains but come on already.......If you want to pay 75%-90% of what an item cost's retail just go buy a new item and get the warranty and leave ebay for those of us with more brains then money!

My first business was buying Government Surplus medical goods, electronics and jet turbines mostly for the old HU-! family of retired helicopter's when the National Guard and Reserve Units got Black Hack's a glut of Zero Time and re-manufactured turbines flooded the market. I would buy this stuff and resell it globaly. Also resold surplus medical supplies and non-sensitive electronic parts like network adapter's, main frame parts for obsolete computer's in the USA that where in demand by third world countries.

It would never fail a bunch of General Motor Retires with more money then brains would spend $6500 on a GM pick up truck with a blown head gasket and 280,000 miles because they would get into a bidding war! So a truck they could have bought any place else for $1000-$3000 depending on millage and if it was 4X4 or 2X4 ended up costing $6500.....I used to laugh my but off at these types.

So have a plan before you bid. Set a limit. Be willing to walk away from the table if the deal is going south! Research the market value of the item. That would be the price that most of those unit sells for in the open market. Look to pay not more then 50% of the going rate for the item. If you go past that point your not getting a deal and most electronics on ebay have the "AS-IS" no return blah blah....Sure all of us that have any experience know that Pay Pal will take the buyer's side 98% of the time and refund your money but it is always best not to have to go that route!

Sales at stores....If you are not getting at least 30% off it really is not much of a sale or discount 33% is even better! Haggle store manager's will often give you a 10%-15% off if you have the nerve to ask for it and make a decent argument. Sure it violates the 30% rule but if you can get 10% just by waiting for the Store Manager and asking why not? No one pays full price for washer's dryer's, stoves, car's or trucks except Marks so why not try?

So have a plan, research, set a limit, wait until the last minute or use bidding software, be willing to walk away! Always ask for a discount if it is over $300-$400!

Reactions: 1 person

:pop::blink::pop:

Did we get smoked in an auction by a high dollar bidder or you just trying to be helpful?

Your thread title and the beginning lead one to believe you are a wee bit miffed about something. :D

Reactions: 1 person
To each his own I guess. Sometimes the stuff bought on Ebay is just plain NOT available new and extremely hard to find used. That's why some of us look to Ebay. I was able to pick up some Kenwood TS-820S accessories that are almost 30 years old and very hard to find. I paid an exceptable (to me) price for somethings that I could not otherwise find. I agree that some people get caught up in the frenzy but some people simply are willing to pay what it takes to get what they want and not necessarily just to beat out the other guy.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for straightening us out.

yep, all us dumbasses really needed a lesson on how to bid on e bay, duhhhh.

thread title sounds a bit condescending, did you loose out on an auction due to someone being prepared to dig a bit deeper than you were? because that's how it comes across, either that or you think you have superior intellect to others on this forum, either way, it don't do you any favours.

With as many folks getting screwed from sellers on ebay I decided just to leave that place well enough alone

I've been smoked a few times, but have always prevailed after filing a claim (knock wood). There are a few sellers that I do trust and have no problems buying their stuff.

I have got to many good deals and hard to find items and can't give up yet. I'm getting to the point where I can smell a Bad deal a forehand.

I don't bid until the auction is almost at the end.

Why bid up the price until it's really the selling time?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.