• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Someone recommend a soldering iron?

The Jerk

May 6, 2008
Reading, PA
I am going to need a new iron, mine is dying.

I have a new 15 watt pencil from RatShack that seems to work well, its for my small stuff. So I have that covered.

The one I am looking to replace is an older RatShack and I believe its a 30 watt. I need to be able to solder from 20ga up to 12ga wire at times and it needs to be portable (as like an iron, not a station). I mainly use it outside on the truck.

Anyone give me a recommendation for a replacement? Should I go back to RatShack??

I've used these before, with good results outdoors and inside too. Besides working with heavy wire jobs, it will make short work of PL-259s.

Weller Soldering Iron, SP-120, Chisel Tip, 120V: mro2go.com

That's more/less what I'm looking for...should have said before I already have a 250 watt "gun", but its heavy and too big in a lot of cases.

Thanks, I probably order one of these later today.

FWIW, my current soldering iron is so bad that I had to revert to plugging it in and then actually heat the tip with a propane torch, just to solder a wire.

FWIW, my current soldering iron is so bad that I had to revert to plugging it in and then actually heat the tip with a propane torch, just to solder a wire.

I only laugh because it's something I've done....a micro-torch can rank up there with duct tape and a hammer in utility. Actually I've done a fair amount of soldering with a micro torch too....the trickiest part is putting it down quickly with the flame _off_ before the joint cools and you get the solder on it.

I used to tour and do sound and actually got used to touching up XLR connectors with that mini torch.

Try tightening the tip on your pencil type and when new unscrew the tip and add a little heat sink compound then screw it in tight. On gun types tighten the screws and if the tip burns out make new ones by using 14 or 12 gauge house wire..... Just a few tips, pardon the pun! :LOL:

mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.