• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Special contact

bobcat115

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 3, 2005
central Pa.
I has a special contact with a 9 year old girl last night. She was from Virgina Beach, Virginia. Her call sign was KJ4EZA. A real trouper...
She is working on her "all states award" Her dad was in the background helping her.It was on the DX Cluster many times. There was a big pileup of stations trying to make the contact.

KB3NXT

That's pretty cool. Not many 9 year olds (boys or girls) interested in radio. It's always kinda neat when you get some kids on the air.

There's been a big effort here to reach out to the area boy scout and girl scout clubs, not a lot of the young girls seem too interested in radio, but there always seems to be a couple of the boys that show a lot of interest. The thing that usually holds them back are the parents.....

The parential excuses are usually.....

We've already spent enough money on video games, we can't afford another expensive hobby for our son....

"OR"...that's all well and good, but I really don't want to de-value my property with a bunch of obnoxious looking antennas....

"OR"....he says he's interested now, but I just know that after we buy him all that stuff he'll loose interest, and it'll go to waste....

It seems you have to sell the parents on HAM radio first, before you can sell the child, if the parents aren't interested in promoting the hobby and investing in just a single band HT to start with, then you're just putting on a show with no return for the over all hobby.
Every once in a while you find that right combination of interested child and parents, Mom supports it, Dad gets as interested as the son, they both take the Tech test and get into it together.....(y)

When I was a kid it was either stereo equipment, or CB radio....there weren't any home computers or video games, so you were either really into playing music, or experimenting with CB's, and that lead you into HAM.
Now days there are so many other forms of electronic entertainment available to kids, the radio hobbies have taken a back seat along with model rockets, or building models of any kind......

It's really good to hear someone making a contact with a 9 year old, and especially a YL at that.......(y)

spoke with carissa last weekend....not only is that HER call, but at age 9 she is a GENERAL! spoke with a couple other licinsed kids during 'kids day' a few weeks back, too.

Hey BobCat 115
Nice contact indeed

Oh and N2ITH
Very well said and i Agree Totally

I was lucky in that my parents were willing to not just tolerate CB when i was young but also willing to help me however i asked for it
( however the girl BobCat contacted at 9 indeed put me to shame..a general at 9 wow)

I thought i was doing good at age 11 with a killer CB set up ( back in the day )

LOL

My call used to be KJ4EZG.... I took my test the same time that the little girl her brother and their mother took their test. They all passed and the kids were the first ones done with the test. Smart kids... really know their stuff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.