• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Spray painting a Solarcon A99 antenna

Lazybones1222

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 6, 2005
Tampa Bay Florida
I suggested spray painting a white Solarcon A99 antenna flat black to help "stealth it" before putting it up in a pine tree. One person said it could affect the SWR of the antenna.

Comments?

This will work good on aluminum antenna's and Krylon makes Camo paints that are good also.
*non-metalic*
00000158lq.jpg

This paint is a tough epoxy, can apply several coats to make a very durable finish. It is used a lot on firearms - stainless steel barrels, aluminum parts and fiberglass etc.
Comes in 13 colors.

I still like my tape tron 99 :shock: nothing makes an antron look new like white electric tape! Also used green electric tape to camo a 102 in the bushes at Chong as some of you may have heard :LOL: I like the tape thought on my antron becouse it keeps the water off the fiberglass so the match dont change in the rain and the best part no more fiberglass make people itchy! 8)

I did the tape thing. Used black and green. Started at the bottom so the water runs over the tape, instead of into. Can't see it from the road.

EDUK8TR,
I used the Parkerized Gray...almost disappers when darkness falls.

When I would come out of the store at night I would look out across the parking lot for my shinning 10k, it was no problem to find the truck. But not now, now I have to look for the truck and not the antenna.

I will get a picture of the antenna today or tomorrow and post it.

Flat black is not a good choice. It's very conductive because of its high carbon content, whether it's wet or dry. Avoid it, and avoid paint with metal particles in it, like zinc. It can be pretty conductive also.

2M Guy said:
I did the tape thing. Used black and green. Started at the bottom so the water runs over the tape, instead of into. Can't see it from the road.
Yeah I did the same thing for the same reason. one layer of black cheap tape(the thick stuff) then 3M white. was going to go with heat shrink tubing but for the price of the tubing I could have bout a new antron :shock:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.