1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Spray painting a Solarcon A99 antenna

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Lazybones1222, May 8, 2006.

1. Lazybones1222

Lazybones1222 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I suggested spray painting a white Solarcon A99 antenna flat black to help "stealth it" before putting it up in a pine tree. One person said it could affect the SWR of the antenna.

Comments?

2. FL Native

FL Native Registered User

aslong as its not a metalic it will be fine.

i find they are more stealth leaving them white if your put it out the top of the tree. the white blends with the sky. black will stand out.

Robb likes this.
  3. Master Chief

Master Chief Guest

4. DXman

DXman Well-Known Member

This will work good on aluminum antenna's and Krylon makes Camo paints that are good also.
    *non-metalic*
    [​IMG]

This paint is a tough epoxy, can apply several coats to make a very durable finish. It is used a lot on firearms - stainless steel barrels, aluminum parts and fiberglass etc.
    Comes in 13 colors.

5. DXman

DXman Well-Known Member

As far as SWR goes - nothing changed on my 10K when I painted it with the above paint.

6. Master Chief

Master Chief Guest

I forgot to add, according to Solarcon, painting the A-99 will give you 14.5db gain!!!

;)

n8fgb likes this.
  7. EDUK8TR

EDUK8TR Active Member

What color did you choose? One suggestion I read one time was sky blue to blend in with sky. I never really bought into that but wondered what neural color would be best for all conditions.

Rwb likes this.
  8. Cheech

Cheech Active Member

I still like my tape tron 99 :shock: nothing makes an antron look new like white electric tape! Also used green electric tape to camo a 102 in the bushes at Chong as some of you may have heard :LOL: I like the tape thought on my antron becouse it keeps the water off the fiberglass so the match dont change in the rain and the best part no more fiberglass make people itchy! 8)

9. Highland Ranger

Highland Ranger Active Member

I painted my IMAX grey . . . . . . disappears in the trees.

PA770 likes this.
  10. 2M Guy

2M Guy Active Member

I did the tape thing. Used black and green. Started at the bottom so the water runs over the tape, instead of into. Can't see it from the road.

11. DXman

DXman Well-Known Member

EDUK8TR,
    I used the Parkerized Gray...almost disappers when darkness falls.

When I would come out of the store at night I would look out across the parking lot for my shinning 10k, it was no problem to find the truck. But not now, now I have to look for the truck and not the antenna.

I will get a picture of the antenna today or tomorrow and post it.

12. Beetle

Beetle Sr. Member

Flat black is not a good choice. It's very conductive because of its high carbon content, whether it's wet or dry. Avoid it, and avoid paint with metal particles in it, like zinc. It can be pretty conductive also.

13. DXman

DXman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are old pictures that I found - looks like I should of down sized them a little more.

14. Cheech

Cheech Active Member

Yeah I did the same thing for the same reason. one layer of black cheap tape(the thick stuff) then 3M white. was going to go with heat shrink tubing but for the price of the tubing I could have bout a new antron :shock:

15. Chong

Chong Active Member

that 102" whip was camoed good till they found the coax :( then i was shut down i hate apartments