• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SSB Call Sign?

Back in the late 60s when I was on CB a lot there were a couple people giving out SSB "callsigns".
I had SSB-2626 and Mercury 140. There were other groups of numbers as well. Apollo numbers were common.
I think they only loosely kept track of who had what number. Probably was just listed by what "skip handle" you were using. It was all fun stuff!

There is also the use of country codes in callsigns when DXing

Eg 43 Alfa Tango 001 , the 43 represents Australia, 001 is the individuals call sign.

Full list of country codes:

I guess country codes were used more in the freeband spectrum if you were a serious DXer :) That was 20 years ago so I may be out of touch with whats happening now...

country codes were used more in the freeband spectrum
They still are ! I use them daily working DX stations on the freeband. Mine is 9TM023.
9 for Canada, TM is the prefix of the 'Transmission One DX Group' of which I am a member, and the 023 is my personal number.
When I'm not on freeband I just use '23' as my callsign, and that number was issued by the long defunct Island Radio Club which I was a big part of back in the late 1980's.

Reactions: Ghetto
There is also the use of country codes in callsigns when DXing

Eg 43 Alfa Tango 001 , the 43 represents Australia, 001 is the individuals call sign.

Full list of country codes:

I guess country codes were used more in the freeband spectrum if you were a serious DXer :) That was 20 years ago so I may be out of touch with whats happening now...
I didn't know that...Good info. Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.