• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SSB handheld CB/10m, cherokeeAH-100/spitfire454/titan rpsy-201,anyone owned such?

towerdog

one-niner-seven
Nov 18, 2009
NC
Anyone out there own such a rig. I know this is a rare animal but am curious if anyone has owned such radios, what kind of range could you get on sideband from handheld to handheld or handheld to base.

I had one in my 1998 Jeep and of course the stock antenna is a piece of shit but I hooked it up to my external 102 inch whip on the jeep and talked to Moleculo from Milwaukee WI while I was at AES and Moleculo is in California! That was with the stock 12 watts or whatever that thing did! I sold it, wish I didnt but I did.

QUOTE=towerdog;162581]Anyone out there own such a rig. I know this is a rare animal but am curious if anyone has owned such radios, what kind of range could you get on sideband from handheld to handheld or handheld to base.[/QUOTE]

yeah those are very rare, saw one, the cherokee CB version (easy to freebnd or 10m, lol no FM thou). It sold for over $300. but such things have a way of turning up in pawn shops, before I knew what it was I saw one in pawn for $80 or so and scoffed at the idea of payin $80 for a used handheld cb.

I heard they might start importing them and was thinkin of ordering a lot for my hunting club thou, for stayin within the CB allocation of course.

The rubber duck being used on foot and maybe a j-pole or telescopic center loaded for when that fails.

yeah those are very rare, saw one, the cherokee CB version (easy to freebnd or 10m, lol no FM thou). It sold for over $300. but such things have a way of turning up in pawn shops, before I knew what it was I saw one in pawn for $80 or so and scoffed at the idea of payin $80 for a used handheld cb.

I heard they might start importing them and was thinkin of ordering a lot for my hunting club thou, for stayin within the CB allocation of course.

The rubber duck being used on foot and maybe a j-pole or telescopic center loaded for when that fails.

I think these things surfaced during solar cycle 22. I remember being able to work any where in the US and some DX with just a couple of watts on 10 meters. It was a gimmick and probably had no lasting market value. For hunting you're better off with FRS FM radios. Better range than 10m ssb walkie I would think.

Hopefully cycle 24 will come to life and 10 meters with wake up.

HA.. up here in the smoky mtns. you get better range with our mouth and ears than with FRS. Even with 2 watt gmrs I could get less than 1/4 mile. You might get 10 miles from mtn top to top on a clear day, but you will have difficulty talking across the ridge. The smaller wavelengths of uhf might do better to penetrate steel and concrete but it does not do much to penetrate earth and rock.

There was a dead spot for my "28 mile" motorolas less than 1/4 mile from the house. 2 watts ERP, and could not get through from 1/4 mile from house all the way to where the gravel meets the blacktop.
From the same spot, between 2 handheld CB's, set on low power, 1 watt peak, I can talk to home just as clear as AM and be clear.

If I can get 5 miles of reliable comm between an old AM TRC-211 handheld and base station, and have gotten up to 10 miles max, then I would think I would get even better on the sideband.

Anyone out there own such a rig. I know this is a rare animal but am curious if anyone has owned such radios, what kind of range could you get on sideband from handheld to handheld or handheld to base.

Been a couple of the Albrecht AE201 versions on German e bay recently,they still command funny money though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.