• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Standoff for a 80-20m dipole ?...

Oatmeal

Mar 22, 2009
West Virginia..
I'm going to be using a metal pipe mast and looking for a idea to make a standoff out of....looking at going to a 80-20m dipole soon, looking to see what all I'm going to need to do, since I dont have any tree's in the yard to use...

I made a standoff for the 40m dipole, but think the heats getting to it a little, like to make one out of something stronger than PVC pipe...just not sure what I'd need......looking for some ideas, and thanks in advance...

Cool, I've got a 22ft long piece of drill pipe thats about 2.5" ID, looking to maybe put another pipe inside it and try getting some height, not sure what to use yet...
Love to have a couple sections of tower, that be nice...

A standoff is something used to keep something like feedline away from a mast or separate two things to keep them from touching. Are you simply talking about a mast to hold the end of the dipole up?

Reactions: Oatmeal
uni strut can be purchased at lowes or home depot or any electrical distributor.

U clamp to the pole and put a pulley at the end, dacron rope to raise and lower the antenna.

CK, yes it is to be used to keep a dipole from touching the metal mast pipe.....

So you are talking about another mast at the far end of the antenna then. The dipole would have an insulator on each end and then rope to tie it off to a mast or other support on each end. Wasn't sure what you meant by keeping the antenna from touching the metal mast pipe. I had visions of a vertical dipole strung from a pipe with standoffs keeping it spaced from the pipe.

Reactions: DainBramage
You all who has a tree in the yard you can use, should consider yourself lucky, lol...love to have that option here, sure would make things a lot easier...

CK, I used some weedeater string and tied the center connector up on the standoff on the 40m dipole,and taped it up so it wouldn't come loose but haven't really had the time to try it out and see what it's going to do since I put it up 2 weeks ago...

But the swr is running a 1.3 on 7.2 and 7.3...thats on a rat shack meter by the way..

You don't think weedeater strings works, does a great, lol..

I used a piece of aluminum angle bracket with a solid fiberglass stick as a standoff for my dipole on the push-up mast. I'll take a picture of it when I get home and post it so you can see how I did it.

You don't think weedeater strings works, does a great, lol..

An insulator is an insulator so yeah weedeater string will work but it wouldn't be my first choice. LOL I use a plastic egg insulator on the ends of all my wire antennas between the antenna wire and the rope I use to tie off the ends but only because I have a small bucket of them.

You all who has a tree in the yard you can use, should consider yourself lucky, lol...love to have that option here, sure would make things a lot easier...

CK, I used some weedeater string and tied the center connector up on the standoff on the 40m dipole,and taped it up so it wouldn't come loose but haven't really had the time to try it out and see what it's going to do since I put it up 2 weeks ago...

But the swr is running a 1.3 on 7.2 and 7.3...thats on a rat shack meter by the way..
That weedeater string tends to get quite brittle over time. It will eventually break.

Sounds lime your SWR is good. 40 was pretty good last night, and horrible today!

Brett

CK, I used 1/2" PVC pipe for my bones and the center conn......yea swr is running a 1.3 on 40m...

This was my first dipole, just learning as I go long as it works Ill leave it .....and do better on the next one...

Reactions: KD2GOE and 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.