• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Standoff for a 80-20m dipole ?...

There is an eBay seller that has good deals on dacron rope. I think it's the hamstore or something like that.

For a pulley to raise mine up the mast I just used a solid steel ring from home depot welded to an L bracket held to the mast with hose clamps. The ring is more reliable than a pulley. With a pulley the roller can rust up and the rope can jump out of the groove. The rope loops through the ring and I pull the antenna up like a flag.

The bracket is just flat steel from home depot

Reactions: Oatmeal
Ok, yeah been looking for Dacron rope, but don't think I'll use a pulley either, going to something else....

That dang weed eater string has been doing good, lol....

I finally got around to taking a pic of the stand-off I made. It's just a piece of aluminum L bracket, a fiberglass rod and a couple of U-bolts. Originally I had a piece of wood painted black, but that didn't last long in the sun.
dipole-standoff.jpg

Reactions: Oatmeal
I finally got around to taking a pic of the stand-off I made. It's just a piece of aluminum L bracket, a fiberglass rod and a couple of U-bolts. Originally I had a piece of wood painted black, but that didn't last long in the sun.View attachment 16501

Call me stupid but I finally know what you guys are talking about. To me a stand-off is short and is used to keep feedline spaced a few inches from a mast. That is what it has always meant in radio-speak going back about 100 years or so. What we are talking about here is a dog leg or yard arm. :)

Reactions: RatsoW8 and binrat
Right. When I say semantics I am referring to the meaning or interpretation of a word. Thank you for the supporting evidence.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/semantics

I guess you missed the comparison to "You say potato, I say po-tah-toe" when I said "You call it semantics. I call it proper terminology". Thank you for showing us that even you can miss the obvious. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.