• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Static, weak signals on base. Opposite on mobile.

trapland

Apr 22, 2011
Ok so I'm pretty new. I have a dilemma I cant figure out.

Say I tune in a group ragchewing on my base, band doesn't matter. I get 4-5 S units of static and thier signal is at 5-7.

Now I go to the same frequency in my car (different radio) and get less than 1 unit of noise and the signal strength is 7-9.

Both radios have preamps and they're on. No filtering on either one. My base antenna seems to transmit well, I get Europe from MN well enough. I can see more noise floor with a more sensitive receiver, but signal strangth should come up too, right?

Where do I start?

Are there any power lines near your base antenna? What kinds of antennas? Is your base antenna grounded well? I have a A-99 clone here that I have been using for about a week and although it is marketed as a "no ground needed" base antenna I have found my noise level dropped by about 2 S units by running a 8 gauge wire from the base of it to a 8 foot ground rod directly below it. I also added a homemade set of ground radials today and as there isn't much going on here I'm not sure of the outcome of adding it. I'm sure there are a few on here that can help you more. Welcome to the forum and hope to hear you on the radio. 27.385 LSB 27.445 & 27.555 USB and LSB.

What kind of radio - Ham/CB?
Is it a horizontal or vertical?
Tried using the mobile radio on the base antenna yet?

I thought this was the amature section?

Base tranceiver - ICOM ic761, Yeasu FL2100B amp, tuner, but I dont use it as I am below 1.5:1 on all bands I use.

Base antenna - BTV 5 band vertical, ground mounted, 700 feet of radials, no buildings within 75 feet, no powerlines anywhere.

Mobile tranceiver - Yaesu FT857D, barefoot.

Mobile Antenna - Any of several hamsticks for different bands. All tuned for <1.3:1 SWR

I thought this was the amature section?

Base tranceiver - ICOM ic761, Yeasu FL2100B amp, tuner, but I dont use it as I am below 1.5:1 on all bands I use.

Base antenna - BTV 5 band vertical, ground mounted, 700 feet of radials, no buildings within 75 feet, no powerlines anywhere.

Mobile tranceiver - Yaesu FT857D, barefoot.

Mobile Antenna - Any of several hamsticks for different bands. All tuned for <1.3:1 SWR

Yes it is the Amateur Section; hehe . . .
Sooo . . . Did you try the other radio on the BTV?
Just trying to find out if the radio might be the issue.

Notwithstanding your large counterpoise radial system, I suspect that you still have severe ground losses in your base system. Hmmm.... Need more info on the BTV 5 band vertical and how exactly it's installed, grounding system, and radials.

When trouble shooting the noise it helps to disconnect all accesories, like the amp and meter etc etc.

Just the rig conected to the antenna system.

It could be something as simple as a bad ground on a coax jumper, or flourescent lights.

Many good suggestions in this thread so good luck finding the source of the noise.

When trouble shooting the noise it helps to disconnect all accesories, like the amp and meter etc etc.

Just the rig conected to the antenna system.

It could be something as simple as a bad ground on a coax jumper, or flourescent lights.

Many good suggestions in this thread so good luck finding the source of the noise.

Ahhh! I never thought to disconnect eerything even if it wasnt being used. I'll look at that.

Another thing you might try is having a friend turn each breaker off in the house.
If the noise is being generated inside the house, when you drop the circuit that has the problem in it.....suddenly the noise floor will drop.....then it is a matter of turning it back on, and unplugging each thing in the room.
My Wife has a China cabinet that has a little 9 or 10 watt CFL inside ...it was unreal the amount of bacon frying static sizzle the thing made!
It was very apparent it was our place, as you drove up to the house, you could watch the display on the radio increase as you came up the drive.
Replaced the bulb and the problem was gone....
Anyway, if you Kill the power, and the noise is still there....the hunt is on.

Jeff

My computer is on the bottom shelf of my computer desk, the monitor is sitting beside my IC-718 on the top shelf. They both put out lot's of static. Even picking up my keyboard and moving it around will create a slightly different noise level. When I'm listening to SSB off goes the computer but listening to PSK31 i'm stuck with the noise/static. I know how you feel Trapland.

Have a blessed day,
Harold

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.