1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Stock Cobra 148 GTL with Freq counter plug in back?

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by Big Kahuna, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

Saw this for sale locally and the pictures are cut off but it looks like this is a stock Cobra 148 GTL and on the back I swear I can see a F for "Freq" right above a frequency counter plug.

Maybe my memory is failing me but I don't remember ever seeing that before on a Cobra 148 GTL. No FCC plate on the back either?

[​IMG]

#1 Big Kahuna, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2021

2. 999

999 Well-Known Member

That is not a 148GTL back. Could be a General Lee, or a Galaxy of some sort...possibly even a Connex, but not a 148.
    It's possible they got the pictures mixed up on the listing.

midnight special likes this.
  3. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

From the scuff marks on the top of the case, it appears to be the same radio in the pictures. Must be some kind of Ranger something Super Star.

4. Low_Boy

Low_Boy Sr. Member

I believe by looking at the back of the radio in question we are looking at a galaxy. The serial number appears to be one like is used on galaxy.

5. TM86

TM86 Sr. Member

Shouldn't there be a Cobra data plate riveted to the back of the radio? Or at least holes where one used to be?

walterjn likes this.
  6. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

That is what baffled me - I swear from the pictures (the scratch on the top case) that we are looking at the same radio front and back. It's like some weird frankenstein radio?

That back looks strange though - I'm trying to compare it against other photos of old radios and I haven't found any match yet for a SSB radio.

Damn, now I'm going to have to go buy it. :) Not for $280 though....Might offer $75 just out of curiosity.

#6 Big Kahuna, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  7. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

If it was a legal 40-channel radio it would have a metal plate with the FCC registration number on it.

And a side-mike Malaysia 148 would have a 5-pin mike socket. If it's a 4-pin, it's some sort of bogus mashup.

Face plate transplant?

Only the circuit-board number inside knows for sure.

8. 144inBama

144inBama Electricity doesn't kill you, ignorance does.

Looks like as 32HP (heatsink removed) with a 148GTL face transplant.....strange.

9. loosecannon

loosecannon Sr. Member

yeah we need an inside pic.

got an ebay link?
    LC

walterjn likes this.
  10. kaos513

kaos513 Sr. Member

Return of the clones, if it doesn’t have a plate on the rear that says info of radio don’t get it.

11. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

Talked to the seller today - there is another person in line ahead of me but if it falls through I'm next in line for the lot of radios. I'm going to end up with a bunch of stuff when all I want is a look at the inside of that radio :) I'm super curious now.

S&W357, 999, Low_Boy and 2 others like this.
  12. Shadetree Mechanic

I think there was a website from Brazil that had 148 clones. Could be one of those. I will see if I can find it.

S&W357 likes this.
  13. Shadetree Mechanic

14. Shadetree Mechanic

Woody-202 likes this.
  15. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

So I couldn't help myself - I ended up buying the full lot of stuff which I had no need of but it was the only way to figure out the mystery.

So it has a Ranger Board and RCI 8719 inside so looks like it's a TR-296 in 148 clothing. A CB shop took the time to put a brand new 148 face on it I think as the radio looks basically brand new. Photos below and the last photo is of one of the real 148's board that came with it for comparison.

A very strange find but that explains the factory frequency counter on the back. :) Now who wants to give me $500 for a super rare one-of-a kind 148/TR-296 frankenradio on eBay?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#15 Big Kahuna, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021