• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stopping channel bleed over for locals.

Why? Keep it linear and you'll be fine. Clean in clean out.
Nice sentiment; but just how often do operators go to lengths to ensure they have real linear output? Most of them do not know what that even means - unless they think it just means running a linear amp - lol! Unless it is a tube amp, most CB amps are anything but linear. It is an oxymoron in reality. Even tubes aren't a guarantee . . .

For the newbies. to be 'linear' is to meet the specs of the transistors for linear gain w/o loss of the original signal state eg: as in no loss of signal shape, phase, or distortion of any other kind to the original signal.

A few things make that happen at the operators end: how the transistor circuit is designed in the amp; bias circuit (AB biased thru C biased found in amps), voltage applied to the amp, and how it is driven - for the most part.

How many feed the amp 12.5v as the transistors are spec'd as seen in the transistor data sheet? How many feed them normal input watts for the same? How many of them choose a real AB biased amp for SSB? How many of them are keeping the modulation and radio output linear into the amp? Ans: a number close to zero.

Not saying that it isn't done; but certainly not a standard practice. Would show some responsibility to start; wouldn't it? 'It sounds good; therefore it must be right' is not the same thing. Haven't even mentioned filtering yet. Who has used or built a pass band filter for the CB band when using an amp for that matter?

Last edited:
To be honest, you sounded no different from what I heard the other day. You are overdriving; you have the mic gain too high and it is overdriving the amp. Might help to not talk too close to the mic too.

Once again, a strong signal regardless of the cost is not the same as a properly driven signal. Either one will get through if skip conditions are there. No amount of a few extra watts will get through if these conditions aren't in ones favor.

I know my signal was clean, as it took some time to be sure that I had all of my ducks in a row. Not bad for <20w and a beam antenna - eh?

Reactions: Tallman
To be honest, you sounded no different from what I heard the other day. You are overdriving; you have the mic gain too high and it is overdriving the amp. Might help to not talk too close to the mic too.

Once again, a strong signal regardless of the cost is not the same as a properly driven signal. Either one will get through if skip conditions are there. No amount of a few extra watts will get through if these conditions aren't in ones favor.

I know my signal was clean, as it took some time to be sure that I had all of my ducks in a row. Not bad for <20w and a beam antenna - eh?
Ducks in a row for easy shooting :) , sorry couldn't resist.
I have always said, antenna, antenna, antenna and clean 100 watts, you can work the world.

Reactions: wavrider and Dipole
hmmm, I am confused. Honestly you are the only person who says it. But it eats me up. The other day i was barefoot and today I was only running 200 Watts out of this Palomar. Maybe something is wrong with the lower settings on the AMP. I had a video taken of me and youtubed today from California and I was running my full 500 at the time and sounded great to me. Have to look into this

hmmm, I am confused. Honestly you are the only person who says it. But it eats me up. The other day i was barefoot and today I was only running 200 Watts out of this Palomar. Maybe something is wrong with the lower settings on the AMP. I had a video taken of me and youtubed today from California and I was running my full 500 at the time and sounded great to me. Have to look into this

Don't be confused. Most people on 38LSB are more interested in making a contact than giving an accurate description of another operator's overall radio performance. Which is one of the reasons you started this thread; remember? A radio that is distorting before it signal gets to the amp is only going to amplify that distortion. Its not as though your radio sounds terrible; but it doesn't sound like it is without distortion. It does sound like it is being overdriven, and people on 38 put up with that to a degree.

Is that the same Galaxy that you put dual final MOSFETs in? If so; then even setting the power output to its lowest point would still be too much for most 2 pill amps. But I'll bet if you turn down your ALC pot down a couple of notches, it might just clean up. Make sure that your mic gain isn't too high - either . . .

Last edited:
Yes this is my Galaxy with the Dual Final Mosfets in it. I have it putting out 20-25 Watts swing into a 4 pill Palomar Star IV and then into the Imax 2000. Im glad to have an honest answer though because even the slightest distortion is not ok with me and something I need to get handled. Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: binrat
Watt meter swing means absolutely nothing to me if it is at the cost of bad audio. I hear stations like Bassmaster and Motormouth maul and sit back in envy. Ill cut power back if it means cleaning up my audio.

Watt meter swing means absolutely nothing to me if it is at the cost of bad audio. I hear stations like Bassmaster and Motormouth maul and sit back in envy. Ill cut power back if it means cleaning up my audio.
OK, my question to you. Why not a used HF rig??
It would be rock solid on SSB with 100 watts with better filtering. I bet you could sell your Galaxy and amp to buy an oldie but goodie rig. Any money left over and I would put into an antenna like SP-500 with good coax.

Nice sentiment; but just how often do operators go to lengths to ensure they have real linear output? Most of them do not know what that even means - unless they think it just means running a linear amp - lol! Unless it is a tube amp, most CB amps are anything but linear. It is an oxymoron in reality. Even tubes aren't a guarantee . . .

For the newbies. to be 'linear' is to meet the specs of the transistors for linear gain w/o loss of the original signal state eg: as in no loss of signal shape, phase, or distortion of any other kind to the original signal.

A few things make that happen at the operators end: how the transistor circuit is designed in the amp; bias circuit (AB biased thru C biased found in amps), voltage applied to the amp, and how it is driven - for the most part.

How many feed the amp 12.5v as the transistors are spec'd as seen in the transistor data sheet? How many feed them normal input watts for the same? How many of them choose a real AB biased amp for SSB? How many of them are keeping the modulation and radio output linear into the amp? Ans: a number close to zero.

Not saying that it isn't done; but certainly not a standard practice. Would show some responsibility to start; wouldn't it? 'It sounds good; therefore it must be right' is not the same thing. Haven't even mentioned filtering yet. Who has used or built a pass band filter for the CB band when using an amp for that matter?

The number ain't zero. Some serious operators out here. Personally know a few AM broadcast engineered on 11m.

I am just about to jump on an HF radio myself. Had to get the antenna situated first. Been looking at so many different ones I can't make my mind up. A good used hf rsdio can go from 300-700 depending on what you want to spend! And that's used. But I suppose you get what you pay for, I will say that my magnum 257hp hasnt let me down yet though and have never been told it sounds bad even from the local critics lol. But an hf rsdio for SSB is probably the best bet IMO. One of these days I will have one!

I am just about to jump on an HF radio myself. Had to get the antenna situated first. Been looking at so many different ones I can't make my mind up. A good used hf rsdio can go from 300-700 depending on what you want to spend! And that's used. But I suppose you get what you pay for, I will say that my magnum 257hp hasnt let me down yet though and have never been told it sounds bad even from the local critics lol. But an hf rsdio for SSB is probably the best bet IMO. One of these days I will have one!
For SSB they can't be beat. But unless heavy modified they sound like shut on AM. It's hard for any he radio to compete with a good 148 on 11m.

Yeah I am mostly on SSB. I'm not complaining about my current setup as it gets my named called. Magnum 257hp, sirio tornado antenna. It works okay. I am about tempted to try a stryker 955hp but for the money I can spend a bit more and get an hf radio. The stryker would work well with my tnt 600hd as long as I keep the power to about 60-70 watts. Idk we will see. Still on the fence. As far as the 148 goes, had one and have had a few grants as well, great radios. So many choices lol.

dxChat
Help Users
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.