• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Strain relief for microphone plug end

Use the right size cord? :whistle:
I use either the workman mil-10 or one made by pro trucker both similarly in size to most stock cords. It's not that I'm just trying to find a way to cinch it in the plug clamp, it's more of finding a strain relief that looks clean and works. The heat shrink works ok but not quite as thick as what the mics have when new.

I might try the hardware store and see the sizes of vinyl clear tubing they have, might be worth the try.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I use either the workman mil-10 or one made by pro trucker both similarly in size to most stock cords. It's not that I'm just trying to find a way to cinch it in the plug clamp, it's more of finding a strain relief that looks clean and works. The heat shrink works ok but not quite as thick as what the mics have when new.

I might try the hardware store and see the sizes of vinyl clear tubing they have, might be worth the try.
Re-read post 12,

Believe me this works great!

You don't have some old rg8x clear jacket coax laying around? This is the perfect diameter to do this.

Again, You MUST soften the mic cord area you'll be covering over with alcohol to slip the stub piece on. As the alcohol quickly evaporates, the stub piece will stay firmly in place creating a thicker cable for the mic clamp to hold in place.

I learned this years ago from a departed friend so I thought I'd pass it on.

I like the tip about filing down the clamp, but I favor having some extra thickness protection between the wires and clamp. Having some extended tubing beyond the plug also plays an important part. It will help distribute some of this stress. This is the same reasoning they apply a boot or spring at the mic entrance. Outside wire cutters, there’s no quicker way to break a wire than to flex it back and forth from a single focal point.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.