• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Strange popping sound when VX-8R is scanning both channels

Wise87

Jan 6, 2010
Today while I was working the local ham repeaters on Ch-A and my local Public Safety on Ch-B, I was hearing a popping sound when one channel (A) was scanning and (B) was stopped on a transmission. The popping sound was in synch with the frequencies flashing by on Channel A. Is this normal? I have attached an audio recording. Channel A is scanning and B is listening to a transmission on the Sheriff’s frequency. You will clearly hear the popping sound.

Update: Update: This also happens when using external speakers or headphones. Also after talking to a friend of mine, he says this could also be a freq interference issue. In trouble shooting more the 444Hz freqs in Ch-A are the ones causing the popping sound. Once I removed them (Skip) from the scan, I no longer heard the popping.

Attachments

• Audio.zip
    144.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

Interesting problem. What happens if you turn ON menu 20-CLOCK SHIFT? I also wonder if this is being caused by the PRIORITY SCAN feature or the WX ALERT (option 111) being turned on?

Interesting problem. What happens if you turn ON menu 20-CLOCK SHIFT? I also wonder if this is being caused by the PRIORITY SCAN feature or the WX ALERT (option 111) being turned on?

moleculo
I checked both settings and they were off. I talked to a ham buddy of mine and he says this is common on many devices. Certain freqs will interfere with each other. I only hear the interference when a 444Hz freq. If I remove them from my scan list, I don’t hear a thing, nice and quiet.
Dan

Mine also does this when either A or B is stopped on a received channel and the other (B or A) is scanning and crosses a band boundary. I haven't looked at the block diagram for the radio but it is probably a band switching artifact which causes the receiving channel to breifly 'stutter'. I considered it normal.

The block diagram in the technical suppliment is big enough I really need to print it our on a big sheet in order to see what is going on, I can't follow it very well on my tiny (12inch) laptop screen. I would not worry about it though. While the VX-8R has two independant VCO units there is a lot of shared hardware in the radio and the cards are pretty tight.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.