• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Strange

211 in tha mag

Apr 11, 2005
That is odd, but then again it is not i dont think the extra length is taking away, but for him to put that mutch more then you, he has to be running a amp or unless you have a high SWR!! i myself, would try 108 foot of coax an see if you cant tune your antenna down some more, im sorry i cant give you a possitive answer, but it is weird like you say!!! To me it sounds like a Antenna setup problem, because if yall are doing the same numbers in watts, yall sould not be that much different, and for him being a little hight then you will not make up a 4 s unit gain, sooooooo, ponder a little on this and figure it out, im sure you will!

cdx401sig.gif

</p>

Isn't that Jo Gunn you mentioned an 5/8 wave ground plane antenna? The Antron 99 is a 1/2 wave antenna with no groundplane radials (uses the shield of the coax for counterpoise). You're gonna see stronger field stength signals every time with that Jo Gunn over the Antron. In addition to the advantages of 5/8 wave over 1/2 wave, the other thing I would expect is that I'm sure the Jo Gunn probably has a lower angle of radiation, so more "signal" is getting to your buddy in the distance as compared to the Antron. Another example of why a good antenna makes all the difference....

If you wanna do a real good comparison, replace the Antron with an Interceptor 10K and report to us what the field strength levels of both the I-10K and the Jo Gunn are. Now THAT would be interesting.

Moleculo

</p>

Wow, guess i read that backwards the first time. It's gotta be somethin screwball with the antenna or feedline. Is there any other details you can give us?

</p>

Heres something to ponder for alittle while. My neighbor and myself both have a base setup and we both communicate with my nieghbors brother who is located 25 miles south of us. Our houses are about 50 yards apart. My setup is a Ranger 2985dx with turner +3 mic about 125' of lmr 400 coax running to a Jo Gunn Son Of A Gunn omni about 42'in the air to the base of the antenna. Now he is using an HR2510 with a turner super sidekick on a 15amp power supply with two different pieces of coax. one is the large white stuff either rg213 or rg8 and the other is mini8 spliced together adding up to less than 50' to an A99 30' to base of antenna. both of these systems have an swr below 1.5 on all frequencies tested. now heres the funny part on any given frequecy my nieghbors setup is giving his brother about 4 s units higher than i am but his brother says that we are almost identical in loudness of our signals. both of these radios are deadkeying 10 and swinging 30-35 watts am. I am wondering if maybe the longer lenght of coax is taking the strenght of my signal down? I would really like to hear some opinions for i could see a small difference but 4 s units? Btw the brother is using a President George with A99 as a base

CDX235</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=rugrat235>RugRat235</A> at: 1/16/03 11:24:45 am

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.