• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker 955 Problem. Won't Always Fully Turn On

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Hi guys, Have a new one. Used on base for 2 weeks, absolutely perfect and love it. Decided to move it to mobile and it started developing a curious problem. Won't fully turn On. Radio powers up with all displays but no TX or RX. Have to turn off and back on. Sometimes with do after 1 re-powering. Sometimes you have to do it 20 times. Anyone know what is going on here ? Thanks !!

loosen the mounting bolts to the bracket and see if it stops.I have used a radio for a base then put it in a vehicle and do that. my last one was a superstar 121 . I found some bad solder joints at the audio IC on it. when I tightened the bracket screws it would pull the board and legs of the IC apart and caused that for me.

Might not be a bad idea to start checking battery voltage - both while running and engine off - sitting.

Any one of many newer vehicles have sensors that detect battery drain - it may be what is causing this. The load shedding feature the vehicle uses thru their ECM may allow low-current to pass, but any high current it would require the engine to be started first.

Another possibility is a weak VCO/PLL loop bad component that doesn't like cold or hot or humid weather so it won't RX or TX because the PLL won't lock onto the channel. Try changing bands and channels within these bands to see if RX returns - more that likely it's better on the 10M band than 11M - if it won't fire up at all - see above. Possibly the voltage thru the radio may power up the device but there is not enough "juice" to engage the PLL the vehicle is holding it back until the engine starts.

Sudden failures - like it (this problem) just started - one day. May mean it got jostled and now parts are loose and require a set amount of voltage and temperature to fire - quick on - off - on - off back to on - may introduce enough voltage spikes to make the PLL lock - but only after several tries. Again, vibration or humidity can do this.

Put it back on the base and it works normally? Might have to switch to a different radio in the vehicle. Don't be too upset - because of all the vehicles I've owned - I have several radio and vehicle combinations - including HR2510's and Chevys' that never got along. Those radios that I will relegate to Base Station only because of the problems they have in mobile environments. Nothing against Chevy, but some of their Alternator/Battery and wiring harness issues - radios' sensitive to power spikes and sags - just don't work well - like a bad power supply - they power up but forget it when it comes to using it for anything else.

:+> Andy <+:

I doubt it is a voltage issue, because that radio has voltage alarms. I would call Stryker tech support. I forget his name now, but the head guy is really helpful with troubleshooting and sending components for a warranty radio. Obviously that might be different when it's out of warranty, but worth a try anyways . Good luck

Really sounds like a computer problem. We found that the computer in 2950-type radios would want a quick, bounce-free turn-on when power is applied. Turns out the computer's internal reset/startup sequence depends on this.

A radio connected to an old-school linear power supply would fail to boot. Blank screen. But only when we turned on the AC power supply with the radio already powered on. The output of a power supply with a big filter cap rises too slowly. A click of the radio's power switch to "off" and then back "on" always got the radio running. Had the same thing happen when you plug in the DC power cord with the radio's power switch already on. The pins in the power socket will briefly make, break and then make again as you slide the plug into the socket. Those brief interruptions would disrupt the computer's reset/startup functions and get you a blank screen, or egyptian hieroglyphics on the display. Click off, then back on. Works until the power switch gets dirty.

A computer problem suggests that any advice you can get from the manufacturer could save you lots of aggravation. If you're the only one to report this fault, tough luck there. But if they have had lots of calls or warranty returns for the same fault, they may know what to do. Might even share it.

I have no info on file about that radio at all.

I have this problem too. I’d think that tech support would know about it. I haven’t called yet... but since you’re having this problem too... I’ll bet it’s common. I’m gonna call this week

I have mine hooked to the ignition in my truck. It can happen when I turn the truck on, or with the switch. It happens maybe 10% of the time I turn it on.

What do you have the power connected to? For this radio the fuse box under the dash wont be enough. I always run straight to the battery or the power lug of the fuse / relay center under the hood. Make sure the power wire is big enough too. I usually run 12 awg and an in line fuse at the power connection.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I did see on another forum off of a Google for a word search re my problem and one guy said he discovered a Loose Wire problem with his which he stated he had also heard about from others. I brought it inside and did an inspection. All of the wire harnesses are on plug-ins so I tugged and jiggled them all around and the rig then powered up as should. Decided then to use as base again where I'm equally happy with it and be done with it. This will keep the radio clean and in a good environment anyway. The other radio being swapped around is a Galaxy 94HP which has always been a fine workhorse out in my pickup so back out there it went.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
The wiring harnesses on the 955's are known for this some have resorted to using a hot glue gun to hold them down in place, is it advisable? I have no idea, My 955 will never be a mobile unit, I was talking to a local driver that passes through my area this week, he has my old fine tuned cb shop 955, that mark just redone.. and it died on him mid transmission...

Once he got home he discovered yup one of the cables was loose as well. this is a very common issue with the 955's I have also emailed Shawn at Stryker of this issue with Zero reply..
most other companies like President have learned from this and have nice ribbon cables, and some even use locking ribbon cables.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.