• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker 955 V 2

I gotta post an update with the V2. I don't know if it's my imagination, or if these things need to be burned in, but the more I use this radio the better it gets. The ears are extremely good, and people are telling me the modulation is extremely loud, clean, clear and not overmodulated.
Talked to a ham operator on the west coast and he told me my audio was incredible. He was shocked when I told him it was a Stryker. So far, so good, folks! In another week or two I'll post another video of the power output.
What are you using to monitor your modulation level?

Reactions: Greg T
What are you using to monitor your modulation level?
I'm using a method I've developed that seems to work. I put a tone in the mic and adjust the gain using my watt meter. I start out low and watch the power increase as I rotate it. When the power stops increasing, I stop turning, then back it down just a hair. So far I've been told "Stellar Audio" from nearly everyone. Some guy said it was good. One guy it sounded fine. But most use the words Stellar or Audio Monster.
That's awesome, what mic are you running with it?

I started out using my Turner +3 because my Yaesu M-1 was in for repair. Now I am using the M-1. Less gain on the M-1 because they use their circuitry for the EQ instead of an amplifier. But I give the radio a bit more mic gain and it's getting stellar audio reviews. Also, I'm using the 4.0khz audio bandwidth setting in the menu.

I'm using a method I've developed that seems to work. I put a tone in the mic and adjust the gain using my watt meter. I start out low and watch the power increase as I rotate it. When the power stops increasing, I stop turning, then back it down just a hair. So far I've been told "Stellar Audio" from nearly everyone. Some guy said it was good. One guy it sounded fine. But most use the words Stellar or Audio Monster.

I started out using my Turner +3 because my Yaesu M-1 was in for repair. Now I am using the M-1. Less gain on the M-1 because they use their circuitry for the EQ instead of an amplifier. But I give the radio a bit more mic gain and it's getting stellar audio reviews. Also, I'm using the 4.0khz audio bandwidth setting in the menu.
Other than the repair, how do like the M-1?

I love the M-1 ... overall. BUT!!! The pots are questionable. They feel cheap, loose and frail. The entire frame of the mic is rugged as hell. Solid. The mic sounds terrific. The capabilities are very nice. They NEED to do something with the pots.

Reactions: Woody-202

Well, off goes the M-1 back to Yaesu! LOL. There are no stops on the gain pots since I received it back. I called them and Tim immediately told me to box it up cuz he's sending a call tag for it. The gain works, but when it gets past wide open it drops back to zero.

Well, off goes the M-1 back to Yaesu! LOL. There are no stops on the gain pots since I received it back. I called them and Tim immediately told me to box it up cuz he's sending a call tag for it. The gain works, but when it gets past wide open it drops back to zero.
Dang! That's unacceptable for the cheesy controls, especially considering how much the mic costs. And then... you have send it back again? I'm sorry about your issues with it, but at the same time, you've erased any thought I may have had about buying one. I'll just stick with my MD-200A8X :unsure:

Dang! That's unacceptable for the cheesy controls, especially considering how much the mic costs. And then... you have send it back again? I'm sorry about your issues with it, but at the same time, you've erased any thought I may have had about buying one. I'll just stick with my MD-200A8X :unsure:

I truly love the the functionality of it, the versatility, etc. Even the entire case is rugged as hell. But those flimsy little plastic knobs that engage the pots on the board are ridiculously cheap. Garbage.

Stryker must be aware of this as it is on the first page of replacement parts for the radio.
Seems to be common.
I wonder if the replacements are more durable.

Jeff
Yeah, the V1 was a known issue, but the v2 was supposed to be more robust. And for a very short time it was. Now it's becoming ugly. Gotta message Shawn. I'm kinda concerned, tho, cuz I messaged him with a question about two weeks ago, or more. No response.

I have 4 Quixiang built radios.
1. Anytone 6666
2. Anytone 5555NII
3. Top Gun Quad 5
4. Stryker 955v1
It amazes me that the most expensive of the bunch, the Stryker by a good margin, has the shittiest channel selector ever seen in this hobby! And it's still not fixed?
This sounds like a Stryker specification problem due to the fact that Quixiang obviously knows how to do it right!

JD

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.