• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker 955HP SSB - hitting stores this week

Picked up a Stryker 955HP about a week ago and really like it. Thank you Stryker for this new radio and thank you for the excellent reviews.

I'm trying to get the Stryker software and 955 radio to connect. I've tried 3 separate USB cables. The software setup tab has a spot to choose a comm port but the dialog window is blank. No comm ports are listed. Trying to "read from the radio" and get the error "can not open the comm port"

The computer does not seem to recognize that a new piece of hardware (radio) is connected like when you normally plug in a new powered USB device.

Software was loaded off the Stryker web site. Computer is running Windows 7. Tried removing and reinstalling the software.

http://www.strykerradios.com/software/SR_955HP_Setup_1.00.zip

Has anyone else been able to connect to a SR-955HPC radio via the Stryker software version 1.0.0 yet?

I have also been unable to make the software work with Windows 7. I think it's a driver issue, but have not had the time to fiddle with it and figure it out. Stryker should have had this right, considering how long folks have been waiting for this rig to hit the market.

RT307

2RT307 and I originally thought it was just us but apparently no one has gotten the software to work from what I've heard.....too bad.

Just curious if you guys have a software that isnt for windows 7 I believe if you right click it and go to comparability and choose xp it should work or run it in elevated mode.....? Just a thought

★ Sent from my Droid★

Just curious if you guys have a software that isnt for windows 7 I believe if you right click it and go to comparability and choose xp it should work or run it in elevated mode.....? Just a thought

★ Sent from my Droid★

That is exactly what I thought, that it was for XP. I don't have an old XP desktop laying around anymore, so couldn't try that route. I will have to see how to do the compatibility mode and maybe I can get it to work.

But really, should I have to? XP isn't even supported anymore by Microsoft, so why would a much anticipated and supposedly "not released until it was right" rig come with software that doesn't work?

RT307

That is exactly what I thought, that it was for XP. I don't have an old XP desktop laying around anymore, so couldn't try that route. I will have to see how to do the compatibility mode and maybe I can get it to work.

But really, should I have to? XP isn't even supported anymore by Microsoft, so why would a much anticipated and supposedly "not released until it was right" rig come with software that doesn't work?

RT307

Just try it, Im sure it should solve the problem.

★ Sent from my Droid★

I'm having problems as well. Gmail won't let me email the zip file. Can someone with gmail test this? I downloaded file from stryker then tried to email it with gmail.

I'm having problems as well. Gmail won't let me email the zip file. Can someone with gmail test this? I downloaded file from stryker then tried to email it with gmail.

Try Hotmail or Yahoo

★ Sent from my Droid★

Gmail is saying its a virus. I'm not interested in trying to get around a virus, spyware or some kind of malware. I called Stryker Thursday and the guy told me he was going to email me a copy of the software right away. I still did not get his email.

I have images of whats going on.

The software won't recognize the radio - I have not heard of anyone who has got it to work as of yet. Not an operating system issue.

I'm hoping Stryker will step up and get some tech support going on the issue.

Gmail is saying its a virus. I'm not interested in trying to get around a virus, spyware or some kind of malware. I called Stryker Thursday and the guy told me he was going to email me a copy of the software right away. I still did not get his email.

I have images of whats going on.

When I originally downloaded the file, it was an .rar file. I had to find a special .rar file unzipper on the internet. Looks like they have since changed it to a .zip file. I downloaded it and it did not report it as having a virus. I would probably wait until you get the one from tech support, just to be sure.

RT307

Powerarchiver is good for rar zip and many more. I called again today and they took my email addy and said they would send it right away. Nothing yet.

BTW, I *can* adjust everything that I need to from the menu on the rig. Except for customized roger beeps, which is not really a big deal. Well, only the fact that it didn't come programmed with a regular roger beep, one that just goes beep. :laugh: Still, if it's advertised as a feature that sets it apart from other rigs on the market, the silly thing should work with the software program.

That being said, I do like the radio. While it has its weak points (weak adjacent channel rejection despite the fancy "up armor name", and picking up all sorts of electrical noise), all in all it's a pretty good rig. To me, the receiver is overly sensitive. I crank the RF gain back to about 3 o'clock most of the time to compensate. Very stable on SSB, gets good reports for sound quality with the stock mic. And contrary to all my "I think it's too bling bling for me" comments before buying the radio, the display is REALLY nice. Fully adjustable, and I prefer the Green display, which matches my dash lights at night. Turn the dimmer down to about 7, and it is just right at night. On bright days, you can crank up the display to really see it well. AM performance is good, and the echo works pretty nice. It is nice to be able to turn the echo off and on without changing the settings. I also use the VFO switch to change between my favorite SSB frequency, and use the regular "band" switch to stay on channel 19. That way I can go to .425 and switch to LSB, on the VFO switch, or go back to 19 with the band switch.

Anyway, just some of my observations so far on the Stryker. Now if they will just make the software talk to the radio.

RT307

I got it to read from my radio. In device manager I changed the usb to serial port to port 5. Then opened the software and it read from my radio (read data completed). Im using prolific drivers on vista.

It will read pc ok under the swr meter

Last edited:
Give this radio a break!

Hi everyone,

I think this is my first post on the board so hello! I have been meaning to post for a while so figured I would get started with the Stryker SR-955HP.

I recently imported one of these to my place here in Australia and I am the kind of guy who really looks at how well a radio is made. The quality in these is one of the best I have ever seen in a radio. Don't let the fancy lights and beeps fool you. I think Stryker has drawn an amazing parralell between hard core export radio lovers and the more serious types like me.

I think the multi colour LED's are great, because you can match it up to your vehicles interior light. Yes the echo is there but you can turn it off if you don't want to use it. I centainly won't be using echo or beeps on 10M, but it's not going to stop me from enjoying the amazing quality of these radios. All RF sensitive parts are shielded, you have MASSIVE coils, even the finals are shielded with their own little steel plate coming up and around the PCB for extra protection. A lot of manufacturers will add echo and talk back boards as an afterthought, but on this beast, they are all integrated into the one board. Never seen that on another radio!

Everything inside the radio uses plugs, so servicing is going to be much faster and easier. That’s If it ever needs it. SMT is so much more reliable than traditional components that use through hole. The stock mic works better than any other mic I have tied on this including my Turner Plus Three which normally will blow everything else away.

The radio has power supply filtering built in, when I put this in my car, NO ENGINE NOISE AT ALL!

The heat sink on the back is huge. Run's much cooler than an RFX-75 doing the same power which I have also used. The radio is also PC programmable.

You have a massive array of protection circuits built in to protect the finals and from high DC.

This is about all I can think of right now and all I am prepared to type in one massive post, but guys, I think the big thing to come out of this, is a company has taken the time and the effort to actually research, design and build a tottally new radio. Most of the stuff out there is based on an OEM from Ranger or Magnum and we only see new stuff when they decide to bolt something on like an echo board or something. I think we should be very thankful that Stryker invested heavily into this project to create one of the most stable SSB radios I have ever used.

What I am really trying to say, is that a great deal of thought has gone into this radio by people who obviously really care!

I hope I don't upset anyone by what I have said, but I think Stryker really deserves a pat on the back. This radio is already a classic and i'm sure will be very succesful for them. They seem to know who their market is.

Wheeew! wasn't that a massive hello!

73 to all from Andrew.

PS video below of me making contact on 10m with the SR-955HP. I have their permission to share. Sorry for my phones bad sound quality!

Stryker SR-955HP on 10M VK2XXL Wagga Wagga Australia chats with KH7DX Kailua-Kona Hawaii - YouTube

got mine today..

I have also been unable to make the software work with Windows 7. I think it's a driver issue, but have not had the time to fiddle with it and figure it out. Stryker should have had this right, considering how long folks have been waiting for this rig to hit the market.

RT307

to get it to work, go C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\SR_955HP_1.00 and install 'UsbToComPortForWin7' once installed, plug in the radio to the USB cord and run 'SR_955HP_1.00' ,then at the top, select 'Setup' then 'Communication Port' you will see 'COMwhatever' Click OK, then select "program' then "Read from radio' (ALWAYS DO THIS FIRST BEFORE "Writing to radio' OR IT WILL *&^&%^ it up and you'll have to start over :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.