• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepwalker

Apr 3, 2005
Bottom side of Virginia
I got a Stryker from DTB the other day. I had him install a toggle switch to turn the blue lights on/off. The radio talks real well and the locals were impressed. The receive is good not great. However, when using the Stryker versus my Cobra 2000 there is no comparison. I used both on my base antenna and ran the Stryker at 14.2 volts The Cobra's receive is in a different league as far as filtering and gain. --way better-- While the Cobra doesn't throw out as much signal as the Stryker(20 watts pep compared to 60 pep) the audio from the Cobra is superior to the Stryker according to all my trusty locals. I used the same mic on both a handheld D104.

Don't get me wrong the Stryker is a great radio; it won't take the place of my 2000. But I'll keep it and use it in the big truck.

Well that's my 2 watts worth. for what its worth :D

The Cobra 2000 is the BEST CB ever made!

I owned a Stryker and it had Justin's MOSFET Receiver MOD in it. Everyone loved the way I sounded and I could hear real well, but I like my 148 much better (also with Justin's GasFET mod).

sleepwalker said:
I got a Stryker from DTB the other day. I had him install a toggle switch to turn the blue lights on/off. The radio talks real well and the locals were impressed.... While the Cobra doesn't throw out as much signal as the Stryker(20 watts pep compared to 60 pep) the audio from the Cobra is superior to the Stryker according to all my trusty locals. I used the same mic on both a handheld D104

Did the locals say specifically what they liked better about the Cobra's audio over the Stryker?

DTB Radio said:
sleepwalker said:
I got a Stryker from DTB the other day. I had him install a toggle switch to turn the blue lights on/off. The radio talks real well and the locals were impressed.... While the Cobra doesn't throw out as much signal as the Stryker(20 watts pep compared to 60 pep) the audio from the Cobra is superior to the Stryker according to all my trusty locals. I used the same mic on both a handheld D104

Did the locals say specifically what they liked better about the Cobra's audio over the Stryker?
they said both were clear and loud but the Cobra was more robust and full sounding, Don't get me wrong I like the stryker alot. It's hard to compare the 2 as they are different animals.

sleepwalker said:
they said both were clear and loud but the Cobra was more robust and full sounding

My educated GUESS is that the 2000 had more bass or lower frequency response. The Stryker was surely designed with PUNCHY audio to give everyone what they wanted......that loud CB sound. It would interesting to see a graph of the audio frequency response of the Stryker. I bet it peaks between 1K and 2K.

This is not a design flaw, Stryker knows what the market wants.

I once asked "why" the Galaxy/RCI radios were "louder" than the legal CBs being made. Its the AF amp they used and the way they set it up. Very few people know you can actually change the frequency response of the audio section. Want to know who DOES know? Justin! (Yea yea cheerleader mode on). I had a Eagle 5000 and had Justin rework the audio section in order to give me a more desired audio response with a HEIL microphone and MY voice! People were AMAZED!!!

(The last part was for my friend, Butcher318) :beer:

un eq'd my ar144 is roughly 3db down at 50hz and goes up to well over 7.5kc if i let it ;)

irresponsible yes but i did it because people said i could not do it,

capable of sounding like a bigold johnson or better OH YES,

codename 4lb globeking, thats what they called it lol,

no raspy cutoff swingadingcrunch modulation here,

dont ya just love a challenge :twisted:.

Masterchief hit it, the SR440 is designed to emphasize the frequencies that will "cut" through the crap. For a fuller sound, use a mic with more bass response, or get or build a mic EQ. By the way, if you ever have the opportunity to play with handheld RTA (a real-time audio spectrum analyzer), use it to look at the audio coming from a typical CB speaker. Its an educational experience.

I used my road king on it and sounded better. No that it sounded bad, I like this radio alot.

10-4 on the RTA. I have a PA system as well as a digital mobile recording studio and have an RTA built in to a couple of the 31 band EQ's. Honestly I never thought to check the freq. response from a CB; but I will. Thanks DTB.

BTW, DTB is an excellent honest technician. I would definitely do business with him again

73's

dtb i would take the clear and crisp over heavy bass anyday :!:

for talking under difficult conditions such as when your in a noisy mobile environment the narrower punchy sound is much more readable than a full bass heavy sound,

it so funny to hear people screaming out over here for an old amstrad 901 that people though of as crap and not worth much years ago because folk liked the bigboy uniden sound,

now they are much prefered over the old unidens for their clarity on both tx and rx especially in the mobile environment people will pay 3-4 times what they would 10 years ago so that people can understand them rather than just hear them :D

so you're telling me my Cobra 2000 isn't clear, crisp,and punchy...you're dead wrong....no it doesn't have only deep bass and no it isn't raspy...it just has balls to the wall AUDIO....you can buy more watts and blah blah blah..

as far as RX the Stryker doesn't stand a chance against the Dynscan Cobra

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.