• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker Sr-955 Version 2

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news fellas, but the ONLY tech that's competent enough to work on strykers says the new v2 are garbage out of the box. Complete splatter boxes, off frequency and just no good..... It just crushed my dreams of owning one because it just won't work well out of the box.....
View attachment 58824

So for now I'll just read all of your false claims of how well they work out of the box....
I saw that vid too. Guess he wants to find a way on v2 to cram all the audio so he can use that SR198 mic.

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news fellas, but the ONLY tech that's competent enough to work on strykers says the new v2 are garbage out of the box. Complete splatter boxes, off frequency and just no good..... It just crushed my dreams of owning one because it just won't work well out of the box.....
View attachment 58824

So for now I'll just read all of your false claims of how well they work out of the box....
Got mine yesterday. Seems to work great!. Amazing how tiny the board is...
Went right to 38LSB and tested it. Got replies immediately Dallas-Chicago. He said it sounded great.

View attachment 58824

I'm dying laughing right now!

V2 report and comparo to V1

So far the V2, compared to the V1, is turning out to be a dud. Yes, it has new features that are handy and useful, BUT, the actual performance and "feel" of the radio has diminished.

Just for the hell of it, I maxed everything out and made a few contacts for an audio check. It would seem that this board has safety limits built into it. Wide open power on AM nets about 60 to 70 pep, while SSB CAN reach 95 if you yell into the mic. Modulation set wide open, asked for truthful audio reports and everyone said it sounded good, no distortion or over-modulation.

Spoke with a local and had him listen closely as I tested the transmit bandwidth and was told there is very little, if any difference between settings. I talked with a local last night for 3 hours and found no surprises. The radio performed well and when we switched to SSB there was no drift. Made some DX contacts as well, and all went according to plan. They heard me, I heard them, the receiver is nice and my audio reports were good. Frequency seems to be dead nuts on target. Not one person complained about my transmissions being off-freq, and I heard most of the DXers as if they were on AM.

The encoder seems to feel much more positive than the V1, but after using it for tweaking and such, seems to me loosening a little.

Okay, the over-all assessment and my OPINION. The V2 is a lesser quality radio than the V1. The V1 seems heftier, has more power and modulation, and seems to drive my amp much smoother than the V2. The V2 has a few more frills, which are handy and fun to play with, but not things you can't do without. The V2 has less power, lower modulation, and "feels" cheaper. Both radios are GOOD radios. The V1 is better, in my OPINION. Where the V1 feels like an extremely well built piece, the V2 seems more like standard cobra or Galaxy models. For frills and noise limiters and such, the V2 wins. For over-all performance and feel, the V1 is the king. Having one of each sitting side by side on my bench, if I was FORCED to choose, I would take the V1 without a second thought.

Recap: V1 - AM turned to max 20W dead key. RF power turned down to 15W carrier will yield 90 to 100W PEP pushed. SSB with RF power at max will yield 110W pep easily. Modulation is very loud and clean with plenty of overhead. Always on freq, no drift. Solid performer. Smooth output do drive amp.

Recap: V2- AM turned up to 25W max. RF power set at 15W carrier will yield 50 to 60W pep if pushed. SSB cranked wide open with RRF power at max will yield 70+ pep and 80W pep when pushed. Always on Freq, no drift, frills are unimportant. Output during normal modulation is too inconsistent to drive amp smoothly.

Last edited:
I think the V2 is an improvement over the V1, at least the way that I use it. My v1 was doing about 60w peak and drove my 4 pill X-Force nicely. I suppose that if I had an 8 pill, then 100w peak drive would be nice to be able to do.
On the V2, the noise reduction feature works well, although it is not adjustable like on the K-PO DX5000+. The selectable tx and Rx bandwidth does what is intended, listening to a monitor radio with headphones will help discern. The electret mic selection is great, I run a Uniden BC465 mic and it sounds fantastic. It compliments the 4k transmit selection nicely. The noise gate feature is nice to have, especially if your amp has a fan on it. The coarse clarifier now changes the 6th digit on the frequency display, instead of just staying 0 on the V1. The fine clarifier shows on the main display.

The 10 meter guys will appreciate the V2 with the built in CTCSS feature.

If you already have a V1, then maybe the new features might not justify buying a V2. I am going to hang on to my V1 for now just in case.

Last edited:
I don't accurate my old dosey meter is.
With the variable turned all the way down on am it shows 2 watt dead key and turned all the way up maybe 25ish dead key.
Does this sound about right I'm hoping dude didn't do anything except the conversion for me.
That meter doesn't have a true pep so I guess there's no way for me to tell pep.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.