• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker Sr 955hpc high swr on ssb?

i have a Stryker 955 with the same problem radio started out working great then one day on SSB the swr's peg the meter if I turn the power past 30 watts.on Am the radio works great 70 watts pep now I notice I have to run a power mic to get any modulation it's almost as if something is wrong with the stock mic but it works fine on other radios. its a nice radio with a lot off fun features but seems to be problem matic
I would call stryker. It took about 2 minutes to get a tech on the phone, and he was eager to help without sending the radio in. He didn't want to get off the phone, it was like he hadn't had a call in 6 months and was excited about it.

Here are the pics of the tape and where stryker said to install it. He said to pop the top of the shield off, stick the tape on top, and reinstall the top. The top was soldered in one spot at the front right, and I had previously bridged the shields in the back. I am thinking this radio had shielding issues at the factory, so they soldered the top on to help. It still does the high swr sometimes, but it definitely helped. Not really the fix I was hoping for. I guess I will call Monday and see what they say. I think I could still solder the back corner, and that might help. Either way, I guess I will keep you posted

Attachments

• tmp_19998-20150509_165645-972884867.jpg
    tmp_19998-20150509_165645-972884867.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 103
  • tmp_19998-20150509_165733-1387919349.jpg
    tmp_19998-20150509_165733-1387919349.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 122
  • tmp_19998-20150509_165943-1291066269.jpg
    tmp_19998-20150509_165943-1291066269.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 105
  • tmp_19998-20150509_170458-847579969.jpg
    tmp_19998-20150509_170458-847579969.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 103
I haven't noticed any carrier on SSB 1KHz down or an abnormally high SWR on mine, but I'll double check to see if that internal cover is indeed grounded properly.

I have noticed that the RF power adjustment knob does not operate in SSB mode. The mic gain sets the SSB power on mine. I usually leave the RF power knob set at around 8:00-9:00 yielding around 5-10 watts DK in AM mode and let it swing from there with a very clean trace showing on the analyzer.

I got my 955 back from key cb today, and I haven't really messed with it much because everything is dead right now. I did notice if I turn the power past 11:30 that it dead keys full scale on ssb. It seems to act right right if I keep it turned down though. According to the meter it now dead keys 40 and swings full scale on am.

If it is DK'ing 40 watt carrier on high power, something is wrong!! With RF power all the way up it should DK about 10-15w max. And also there should be no carrier on SSB no matter the RF adjustment. So what did they fix??

Appa
If it is DK'ing 40 watt carrier on high power, something is wrong!! With RF power all the way up it should DK about 10-15w max. And also there should be no carrier on SSB no matter the RF adjustment. So what did they fix??
Apparently nothing? There was no documentation of what was done. I just ordered an optima mk3, so I think I'm just going to sell it anyways. It is a cool radio, I'm just over it.

sorry to hear you had issues with it. They look like very nice radios and I almost got one myself but decided to go with a used HF radio instead of another export radio. I already have the optimal mk3 and know it works well and is just a simple radio that works!

Appa

Apparently nothing? There was no documentation of what was done. I just ordered an optima mk3, so I think I'm just going to sell it anyways. It is a cool radio, I'm just over it.
That's a shame. If you or the next owner have someone else look at it make sure they test it into an antenna with the covers installed. Mine was doing the same thing on ssb but worked fine with the bottom cover off or running it into a dummy load.

I haven't noticed an swr problem, but I think the full swing on ssb dead key might be caused by over voltage. My truck is running a little over 15 volts sometimes. If I key up with the voltage at 12 or 13, it acts normal, but swings if it is 15 volts. It is really nice that the stryker has a volt meter.

No this is old. But my 955 has swr issue. When you turn dead key down. The meter reads almost a 2 swr. Turn dead key up to about 5 watts goes away. But external swr meter reads fine.

I do have 3 of the Stryker 955 radios. I have had two of them for about three years, and the other one for a little over a year.

First thing to do is to get a quality external power/swr meter ......
Second thing to do is use the menu and turn the SWR alert off ....
I have found that the internal swr meter and a quality external swr meter rarely agree on these radios.
The AM dead key power should be no more than about 16 ~ 18 watts maximum ......
I have added the grounding straps to one of these radios. I used the copper shielding from a piece of coax .....
I cannot explain this adequately, but on one radio, I changed out the four final MOSFET's and the SSB carrier issue went away ..... go figure ....
Had a SSB carrier I couldn't get rid of, replaced all four finals, set bias voltages, and no more SSB carrier .....
I do believe the Stryker 955 is a very good radio, and I have learned some of the particulars of these radios. A good scope comes in very handy also.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
What! Checking SWR on SSB? I have never done that. I do not know anybody that checks SWR with SSB. I have been in radio since 1968 and this is the first time I have even heard of that being done. AM, FM, and CW yes, SSB no way Jose.

I'll have to try that. Swr is fine when power it turned up. But as I decrease the power the meter in the radio slowly climbs to about a 2. But my external meter reads fine.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.