• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Studying for the license

Skip seeker

Dec 5, 2022
Ireland
So Apart from
Being Able to speak to more people on
Other bands and frequencies , what are the real benefits of studying and obtaining your license and Call sign .

There is always good propagation. Just switch bands.
Ham bands are government protected. Noise, interference form neighbours on ham bands, you are protected. I had problems with powerline noise, once big transformer was replaced by my call.
Other time noise from faulty insulator. Replaced.
Exchanging QSL cards for peanuts.
And so on...
Mike

I'm currently studying to get my ticket. I really enjoy the sound quality and the nightly nets on 80 meter. Can anyone explain why knowing the internal electrical components of a radio is required? It's a license to legally transmit on amateur frequencies not radio repair. You have to have a license to legally drive a vehicle but you don't have to know how how it works. I'll get through the test though.

Reactions: Alan Blackmon
There is just more to do, if you get your general or higher tick you have the world at your finger tips. If you like playimg with high power now can do it legally. If one band is dead then you have many others that are probably open. I have a friend in Salt Lake City, ( I am in Chicago)he and I try to connect upevery weekend and 99% of the time we can.

There is just more to do, if you get your general or higher tick you have the world at your finger tips. If you like playimg with high power now can do it legally. If one band is dead then you have many others that are probably open. I have a friend in Salt Lake City, ( I am in Chicago)he and I try to connect upevery weekend and 99% of the time we can.
That's slick connecting with your friend.
No knowing the ham operation, is that line of site or through some kind of repeater system, which band too? That sounds fun.

Should our cell phone infrastructure and the web be compromised people will be looking for ways to contact friends and family. That hated guy in various HOAs throughout Americawill be sought out. Not to tell him to take down his ugly antennas but for the ability to contact others and information on what is happening in the world? Those hidden antennas he built will become very popular and he may finally be able to put up more efficient antennas with everyones blessing.

Should our cell phone infrastructure and the web be compromised people will be looking for ways to contact friends and family. That hated guy in various HOAs throughout Americawill be sought out. Not to tell him to take down his ugly antennas but for the ability to contact others and information on what is happening in the world? Those hidden antennas he built will become very popular and he may finally be able to put up more efficient antennas with everyones blessing.
And with that huge flagpole (antenna) out front, we already know he's the most patriotic guy in the community! I say we make him HOA president.

That's slick connecting with your friend.
No knowing the ham operation, is that line of site or through some kind of repeater system, which band too? That sounds fun.
VHF and UHF are basically line of sight as well as repeter use, there is however exceptions to that rule. There is EME, this is bouncing your signal off the moon and making contacts that way, there is Aurora bounce, bound your signal off of the Aurora borealis. There are ham satellites that you can use. There is SSB just like 11meters. However you don't get real long distance till you get on HF which is anything below 30mhz.

There are some famous hams out there, one of them being Joe Walsh, he is really into ham radio, I have talked to him many times.

Anyway there is way more to do on the ham bands then can ever be done on 11meters... Just saying..:)

VHF and UHF are basically line of sight as well as repeter use, there is however exceptions to that rule. There is EME, this is bouncing your signal off the moon and making contacts that way, there is Aurora bounce, bound your signal off of the Aurora borealis. There are ham satellites that you can use. There is SSB just like 11meters. However you don't get real long distance till you get on HF which is anything below 30mhz.

There are some famous hams out there, one of them being Joe Walsh, he is really into ham radio, I have talked to him many times.

Anyway there is way more to do on the ham bands then can ever be done on 11meters... Just saying..:)
Thanks for the quick rundown, it does seem like you end up with several more options.
Yep I guess famous people can have a normal side of life too. That's good to catch a famous person within a hobby just been a guy with a hobby.

at Skip seeker,

You want to know "What are the real benefits of studying and obtaining your license and Call sign?"

As others have stated it's basically a way to be able to talk on the air when the CB band is dead, and a way to get away from CB.

To spend your hard-earned money (that you don't have) to pay for all the new illegal equipment that you want to use on CB.

The only benefit is using what you can't use now............. the ham bands.

Study hard, take all the practice tests online you can ..... take until you get sick of it, repeat, and repeat..........

Sure you may never use or even remember the actual questions on the test you took, but you would be "one of the first of the many" to pay for a ham license, unlike the rest of us in the US ................ that got our license for free!

Good Luck with your test results........

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?