• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SuperStar Cutting Out

Tnengineer

Sep 4, 2020
Hello. My SuperStar 360FM has a strange problem. Both receive and trans will go silent for a period of say 2 to 15 seconds then return. Meter still is lite during this blank time. Otherwise performance is good. Any ideas?

I would tune in the stray RF leaking out around the 10.24 MHz crystal, and listen in with a ham or shortwave receiver that covers that frequency. You can try molesting the 10.24 crystal while listening to the carrier coming out of it. Tuning in the 10.24 MHz carrier using the receiver's sideband mode will get you a steady tone that should not jiggle about in pitch when you tap on it.

And if you can stand to listen to it this way until it cuts out, this will tell you if that crystal is what's cutting out or not.

More than one part of the PLL circuit can cut out and kill the receive/transmit, but that's where I would look first.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I would tune in the stray RF leaking out around the 10.24 MHz crystal, and listen in with a ham or shortwave receiver that covers that frequency. You can try molesting the 10.24 crystal while listening to the carrier coming out of it. Tuning in the 10.24 MHz carrier using the receiver's sideband mode will get you a steady tone that should not jiggle about in pitch when you tap on it.

And if you can stand to listen to it this way until it cuts out, this will tell you if that crystal is what's cutting out or not.

More than one part of the PLL circuit can cut out and kill the receive/transmit, but that's where I would look first.

Yes the tech replaced that crystal to repair. Many thanks!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted