• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

swan mark2 amplifier

braindamage125

Nov 18, 2022
good day to all. looking for some information or help. i want to install a foot pedal on my swan mark2 amplifier and
I’ve Been Told it Won't Work The factory setup did not provide a source of power for the relay coil. Wasn't built in. The keying cable carried both the hot and ground sides of the relay circuit. Most modern amplifiers only need a switch closed to ground to key the relay. The Mark 2 required a Swan radio with its own quirky amplifier-key socket. is there a modification i can do or a special pedal in can buy, please let me know thanx.

You were given some wrong information.
As you can see from the schematic below, the blue arrow indicates the 12.6Vac provided to one side of the relay coil and the Transmit light by the amplifiers separate but necessary power supply. The yellow arrow is the negative side of the relay coil and transmit light. When connected to chassis ground via the J3 socket (red arrow) on the rear of the amplifier chassis, the relay is energized and the transmit light is lit.

You do have both pieces (RF Deck and Power supply) of this amp don't you?

David
Inkedswan_mark_ii_main_sch.jpg

You were given some wrong information.
As you can see from the schematic below, the blue arrow indicates the 12.6Vac provided to one side of the relay coil and the Transmit light by the amplifiers separate but necessary power supply. The yellow arrow is the negative side of the relay coil and transmit light. When connected to chassis ground via the J3 socket (red arrow) on the rear of the amplifier chassis, the relay is energized and the transmit light is lit.

You do have both pieces (RF Deck and Power supply) of this amp don't you?

David
View attachment 61315
thanks, Dmans
yes. I do have the power supply, so i can make my own open and close foot pedal?

so i can make my own open and close foot pedal?
Yup!

Older Swan amplifiers saved a buck by leaving out the power source for the relay coil. The keying cable to the radio had a 'hot' and 'ground', but both were hot until you keyed the radio's mike. The keying cable was wired across the radio relay's coil. Placed the linear relay's coil directly in parallel to the relay coil in the radio.

Quick way to tell was to look at the keying jack on the amplifier. If the outer body of the jack had an insulating washer under it, a footswitch alone won't do the job. And if the body of the RCA jack is grounded, you're good to go with a footswitch.

And if you get tired of the foot switch, you can put a relay in the radio put a RCA jack on the rear panel and key it with a patch cord.

We sell a kit to do this. It's on Ebay at 45 bucks. The price is borderline out of reason, but that's fleabay-nomics.

Or you can wire up your own. Not that complex.

gp9joq.jpg

Reactions: AudioShockwav
I already sent a couple weeks back a message on ebay for that nomad keyboard relay, there are the ones that told me that it wouldn't work. See below the attached pics of rear of amp.

Attachments

• 20221118_191835.jpg
    20221118_191835.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 53
  • 20221118_191847.jpg
    20221118_191847.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.