• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Switching between antennas

KJ4VRQ

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 9, 2013
I run a Yaesu-897D. I use an Antron 99 and a G5RV. There is only one port on back for HF and one port for VHF. I have an antenna switch that I use between my Yaesu and my 11 meter radio. I have to unhook one antenna to run the other depending what band I am on...
11, 12, 10 etc... I use the Antron and the rest I use the G5RV. I don't want to buy another radio (partly because I can't afford too) but does anyone have an idea as to be able to not have to disconnect and reconnect the HF antennas so that it would be simpler to switch between them???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about that too. You mean another switch to hook up to the other switch?

Or is there a better one with some more ports that I can purchase??? Thanks for your help.

I have that one, and it works pretty well for what you want to do. The only thing I don't like about it is that once you load it up with jumpers, it's pretty cumbersome and you need to have a big area to hang it. MFJ has some that are desktop models that have everything lined up horizontally that I think will work better for you, and I think they are in the same price range. Of course with all those extra ports available, you're obligated to buy more rigs and antennas. ;)

Brett

Reactions: 1 person
Just to clarify...

I have two ports on one side of antenna switch... that is the port I am switching the antennas out of.

The other side has two ports and on one port is the yaesu and the other port is the cb radio.

Can I still use one of these and run both radio and switch between radio AND antenna??? I confuse myself pretty easily when it comes to this stuff...

I see where the MFJ 1700 says "six radio" and "six antenna" for selecting. Is there anything else like this that has only two radio selector? that looks like the only one that is going to work.

Last edited:
I have 2 switches, 1 has 1 radio in and 3 antenna outs and the other has 3 radios in and 1 antenna out. Gives me plenty of options...

Just to clarify...

I have two ports on one side of antenna switch... that is the port I am switching the antennas out of.

The other side has two ports and on one port is the yaesu and the other port is the cb radio.

Can I still use one of these and run both radio and switch between radio AND antenna??? I confuse myself pretty easily when it comes to this stuff...

I see where the MFJ 1700 says "six radio" and "six antenna" for selecting. Is there anything else like this that has only two radio selector? that looks like the only one that is going to work.

It sounds to me like your existing switch box should work. 2 ports for the rigs, two ports for the antennas. You *should* be able to switch your CB to the Antron, (or your Yaesu for 10-12 meters), and switch to the G5RV for your Yaesu. Do you have any pics of the switchbox you already have?

Another thing, if you're using both rigs at the same time... you want to get a good quality switch that has very good isolation. Like the Alpha Deltas. Pretty high dollar, but high quality, too. You may still get "bleedover" through overloading the front end of the rig.

Brett

atyharur.jpg

atyharur.jpg

Ok, thanks! You can just buy another switch like the one you have. Connect the two rigs to it, then the single jumper side to the single jumper of the antenna switchbox. Connect your two antennas just as you have it now. Then you can switch between rigs, and antennas.

Brett

That's what I was thinking too. I ordered the other. Will see how it works.

Reactions: 2 people
If two radios/antennas are all that you will be using, then another switch such as you have, but in the other direction, should do you.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.