• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Switching radios, 1 antenna

Hairball

May 19, 2020
Indiana
Here are a couple of questions about running a couple of radios with one antenna.

Can a coax switch designed for running multiple antennas and one radio be used in reverse for 3 radios and one antenna? This will be for 11 meters.

If not is there a switch designed for this?

Does running a switch like this increase swr's due to added coax, connectors, etc.

Thanks to all in advance.

Harry

Yes it can but you want a decent coax switch to do it. There must be adequate isolation between the switching positions. Myself, I only use Alpha Delta switches for that.

I use multiple radios on a big MFJ switch. I only turn on one radio at a time because even with the unused radio coax grounded, it still slams the receive. You also stand the chance of making a mistake and key the wrong radio. It is nice to compare receivers though. Just put them on the same channel and flip back and forth.

This is some good info because I've wondered the same question as the op. I run the 6666 into a tuner then to the antenna, then off the same power supply run an Am only radio (for local) to the attic dipole. I could be on 38 lsb (anytone) and ch 19 on (the am rig), when tx on one the rx meter on the other goes wild. Both radios are clean, not splattering.

Reactions: undertaker
I used to use this big desktop switch for my radios and antennas, the MFJ 4724. I now have a tuner with multiple antenna ports so I sold this and now just use my tuner and a 4 position Alpha Delta switch just for the radios. .

This maybe the one Shadetree mechanic is referring to. It's about $150 but a lot easier than running multiple switches and jumpers. I would recommend this for what you're looking for.

mfj-4724_sn_xl.jpg

You can see how this one works. You can select up to 4 antennas to go into any 4 radios. The remote/off position is for an optional mini desktop switch selector if you don't want this larger unit on your desktop. In the off position(no remote connected), antennas and radio are grounded and this unit also has a replaceable high static protection tube. MFJ also sells a 6 radio/antenna switch version of this too for about $225

H0-009567A.jpg

Mini remote desktop switch.

mfj-4724_it_xl.jpg

The rear pic shows all radio and antenna ports including a common port. The Transceiver common port is used to send signal via a jumper to accessory devices like a Tuner, SWR/Power meter, and other accessories so all connected radio's can access them then return the signal back to the Antenna common port so all antennas can access them as well. However, If no accessories are used, a small jumper must be connected between both common ports to close this circuit.

This device does require 12v to operate using a 2.5mm power plug.

There will be slight insertion losses and the manual will show you where the SWR may slightly increase on certain ports while operating on some of the HF bands. This is normal and nothing to be too concerned about. On 27 MHz, there shouldn't be any change. The higher frequencies above 54 MHz is where the SWR will significantly increase.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
This is some good info because I've wondered the same question as the op. I run the 6666 into a tuner then to the antenna, then off the same power supply run an Am only radio (for local) to the attic dipole. I could be on 38 lsb (anytone) and ch 19 on (the am rig), when tx on one the rx meter on the other goes wild. Both radios are clean, not splattering.
The receive on one can only do so much when the other one keys so close together. It would be better to turn the other one off when you key.

I used to use this big desktop switch for my radios and antennas, the MFJ 4724. I now have a tuner with multiple antenna ports so I sold this and now just use my tuner and a 4 position Alpha Delta switch just for the radios. .

This maybe the one Shadetree mechanic is referring to. It's about $150 but a lot easier than running multiple switches and jumpers. I would recommend this for what you're looking for.

mfj-4724_sn_xl.jpg

You can see how this one works. You can select up to 4 antennas to go into any 4 radios. The remote/off position is for an optional mini desktop switch selector if you don't want this larger unit on your desktop. In the off position, antennas and radio are grounded and this unit also has a replaceable high static protection tube. MFJ also sells a 6 radio/antenna switch version of this too for about $225

mfj-4724_it_xl.jpg

The rear pic shows all radio and antenna ports including a common port. The Transceiver common port is used to send signal via a jumper to accessory devices like a Tuner, SWR/Power meter, and other accessories so all connected radio's can access them then return the signal back to the Antenna common port so all antennas can access them as well. However, If no accessories are used, a small jumper must be connected between both common ports to close this circuit.

This device does require 12v to operate using a 2.5mm power plug.

There will be slight insertion losses and the manual will show you where the SWR may slightly increase on certain ports while operating on some of the HF bands. This is normal and nothing to be too concerned about. On 27 MHz, there shouldn't be any change. The higher frequencies above 54 MHz is where the SWR will significantly increase.
Yes that's the one. I have the 6 position and have my Autek meter on the common between the top and bottom half. This way the meter is in line with any radio and antenna combination.

Reactions: fourstringburn
I have a Five position B&W antenna switch that I have used to switch between Five different radios for years on my ANTRON 99.It works great.Just turn the other radios OFF when not being used.Just buy a quality switch & you will be just fine.I Sold 114 of my CB radios about a month ago so now all I have are FIVE CB's so it's PERFECT for me. {:>)

SIX-SHOOTER

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated