• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

switching relay

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
im looking for a 12v relay that will switch between "a" or "b" with a 12v momentary switch. no constant power at the relay, only the momentary power from switch "a" or "b". it would need to switch and lock after power is removed and then switch back when polarity is reversed and lock there. i tried an automobile relay jd142c that is a latching relay but it also needs constant power. not what im after

Last edited:

Relays like that are hard to find now days. Back in the day when factory machinery was controlled by relay logic, this was a common device. But that was over 30 years ago, now days the machinery is controlled by a programable logic controller (PLC).

What devices are you going to control with this?

A 'double throw" relay will close one circuit when the coil is not energized. That circuit opens and another one closes when the coil is energized. Makes it an "either-or" switch function.

This can be done with a 12-Volt single-pole double-throw relay and two pushbutton switches. First, the 12 Volts connects to the relay's "common" pole, the one that selects either the NC when there's no coil current, or the NO that closes when the coil is energized.

One pushbutton type is normally open, and closes only when pressed. The other one is a normally-closed type, and only opens the circuit when you press it.

The normally-closed switch will go in line with the relay's coil.

The normally-open switch will go from 12 Volts to the hot side of the relay coil. The 12-Volts that comes out of the 'on when coil is energized" or NO (normally open) side WILL ALSO go to the hot side of the relay coil. It will hold itself in the energized condition until the normally-closed switch is pressed and cuts the coil circuit.

Can you read an electronic schematic diagram? I have discovered that not everyone does. If so, I can draw it up in that form.

And if not, I'll save myself the trouble.

But that's the plain-language version of what you described.

One output from the relay is hot when the coil is energized. The other output from the relay is hot only when the coil is NOT energized. One or the other is always on.

im wanting this setup. a single pole double throw. on/on.

the 12v coil determines which terminal is connected to the common, (a or b), depending on polarity of 12v momentary switch. switch power will only be used to throw the relay and it will remain in that position even after the switch is released. no holding (latching, sealing) circuit, that would be mechanical basically

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    952.9 KB · Views: 89
Hi nfsus,

An SPDT spring-return switch with centre off, a magnetic latch relay and an electrolytic capacitor would be required.

1.png

In one end position of the switch, the capacitor charge pulse will set the relay and in the other end position, the capacitor discharge pulse will reset it.

Nandu.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.