• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Talkback on a Relay, Why?

Sonoma, I found that one - when you posted a photo of that one radio you needed to know how that idea worked...

I really had to dig into the archives...
Galaxy 33 had one relay mounted to rear panel...GeneralLeeGalaxy33.jpg

Then a question of cut traces...
GeneralLeeGalaxy33TalkbackHack.jpg

Then I found this in my archives...
SonomasTalkbackMod.jpg

So, yeah, been there - done that ... wow...

Last edited:
I was just cutting the trace on the ones I was doing and Andy showed me the jumper to just pull out to make it work.
Andy did the pictures so every one could see what was going on here. I am terrible with pics and all I would do was just draw a picture. Andy made it look good as you all can see. i always liked the relay mod over pulling the diode to get talk back. the relay gave you good clear talk back.

Andy thanks for sharing the mod for all to see. at least they can try it if they want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2AF409 and Rwb
Andy is 1 excellent radio tech.
I drive a truck n never usebtalkback.my 99V has that vc too.id rather the controls be for more channels,more power more anything besides listenin to me

Well I love me so much that I love listening to myself. So much that I do it all the time here, nobody else listens to me, my here I mean home.

I thought at first I was just doing such a good job that they had no come-back but then I realized she was just ignoring me. Yes by they I mean her. Haha.

Well I’ve learned something but I don’t guess I’ll be applying it cause I don’t like talkback either. But I will experiment with it though, if nothing else it’ll just sound cool to hear the relay click like in the Magnums.

Thanks for the pics Andy.

Reactions: Rwb
I answer my own all the time. Then I tell myself how right or wrong I am. I think that’s healthy, don’t you? Anyone? Hello...

Guess I’m alone in that thought. Yes you are Porkchop, all alone. It’s ok buddy, it’s always just been you and me.

Hahaha

Reactions: Rwb
Well I love me so much that I love listening to myself. So much that I do it all the time here, nobody else listens to me, my here I mean home.

I thought at first I was just doing such a good job that they had no come-back but then I realized she was just ignoring me. Yes by they I mean her. Haha.

Well I’ve learned something but I don’t guess I’ll be applying it cause I don’t like talkback either. But I will experiment with it though, if nothing else it’ll just sound cool to hear the relay click like in the Magnums.

Thanks for the pics Andy.
listen but if you start answering your questions,we commitin you to the RADIO SHACK ASYLUM

Well I do talk to myself out loud when I’m working on something, it helps to hear myself thinking sometimes. I’ll be concerned when I actually start answering or arguing with myself. That’s probably time to start hugging myself.

“Talkback” is a way of monitoring how one sounds.

1)A big truck is loud. Every situation.

2) One is moving at a high rate.

Ergo, ones voice ISN'T the only information competing for attention. Decisions are required on multiple fronts.

I’m guessing none of you knows squat about music. Never played an instrument or learned to sing. What goes into tone, timbre, key, register?

“Talkback” is a requirement. Without “talkback” one is making guesses.

Read about that joke of a musical tour the Beatles made in 1964. Couldn’t hear themselves at all.

Sure, there are times it isn’t necessary.

And times it is. I could start listing instances where you’d be glad you had it. That BOTH VOICES are audibly loud.

I don’t like talkback, I’ve drove a dump truck for 18 years. I just don’t like it. Not knocking anyone that does, not belittling anyone or attempting to be condescending towards them or their character. It’s just my opinion.

I play guitar. Have for years. I’m not real good at it but I play. I sing as well. Was in chorus in high school. Not a great guitar player and not a great singer either. So therefore I do what I’m halfway good at and it’s not being a musician.

My opinion, talkback is required to set up the echo controls if you use echo. Pass that, it’s just annoying and a lot of people have feedback issues from it and that drives me crazy hunting the cause and even more so finding a solution for it. So I don’t promote it.

And in my shop, truck drivers, it’s a requirement. Hunters, don’t want it or use it. And no serious ham would ever be caught dead running echo on any amateur band. I imagine if I keyed my FT-2800 into the local repeater with an echo box hooked to it during a net meeting, they’d hunt me down and beat me senseless. Definitely ignore me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.