• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tecsun PL 880

Necromancing this thread

Been using my new Tecsun PL-880 for a few weeks now. Great little radio and incredible sound and bandwidth settings.
It's comparable to my DX398 (ATS909). Only thing it lacked was MW antenna input so I added it myself.

You can add 4 or 5 turns of magnet wire around the very end of the MW antenna rod inside, one wire of the loop to ground, the other to the top jack connection that is unused.
This puts the loop of wire on the ring of the TRS jack. This way when you plug in a stereo TRS jack the tip will be for SW like it always was, ground as always, and middle ring now for MW. Long antennas will overload it a bit, but longwires 20-40' will really bring out MW much better than the internal ferrite rod antenna, and best of all it's an easy mod to remove if you don't like it. If you use a large outdoor antenna you will need to turn the RF gain on the radio down to Local.

Here's a PDF to instructions I followed...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16T1ierrKjpT8uWUCy8BD969vnvsQXsLa/view?usp=sharing

Before my mod, and showing off the insides...
DSCN1005.JPG

After my mod, looks sloppy but that's just the hot glue..
DSCN1006.JPG

Great radio.
DSCN1008.JPG

Here's the only schematic I can find of some of the innards of the radio, some in russian? Either way helpful to modifiers...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lbnKR3fKiCcYf29dP3amSMabCAP0Jynh/view?usp=sharing

Good stuff.

Superb radio for the price. I bought a second one to keep in the car. I drive family to appointments and listen to it in the parking lot.

Reactions: Rwb
Good stuff.

Superb radio for the price. I bought a second one to keep in the car. I drive family to appointments and listen to it in the parking lot.
im sure there are better radios but for price,features,recharge,and sound quality they are hard to beat.if i want another a pl 880 will be bought,unless tecsun comes up with a better version

I have a Grundig Yacht Boy 400PE that I've had for about 15 years now. Still works, but I wonder if this Tecsun would be a significant upgrade? I mostly use my YB for shortwave DXing and some MW listening. Backyard and camping trips, etc.

I have a Grundig Yacht Boy 400PE that I've had for about 15 years now. Still works, but I wonder if this Tecsun would be a significant upgrade? I mostly use my YB for shortwave DXing and some MW listening. Backyard and camping trips, etc.
i got a 400 pe also,it is ok but is not as good as my pl 880.my yb 400 pe has done me great but its becoming tired

This is the 4 bay version.
It will charge anything from AAA nicad
To 4.2 volt lithium.
Each bay charges seperately.
Runs on AC
Also has a power adapter input.
Charge from vehicle.
Excellent charger.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated