• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TELESCOPIC MAST.

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
I have managed to talk my Royale into adding a 24 ft telescopic mast to my non-penetrating roof mount. It will bring my antenna up from 7ft to approximately 24 ft. Has anyone ever purchased one of these telescopic mast. The one I am looking at says assembly required. What type of assembly would be required? I'm hoping they're just talking about adding the guy wire rings. 73

I've had a couple of the 40 and 50 footers like the ones sold by channelmaster.

Usually had them loaded pretty heavy, supported at some level and the top section dropped down, not used. This is with a good size TV antenna at the top.

For a wire dipole I use the whole thing.

They can be a bit noisy attached to the house in a big wind.

I don't remember doing anything I would consider assembly. Just put it up.

One thing you want to watch is the longer ones can bend if you extend it on the ground and try to stand it up.

Reactions: Sonar
I've had a couple of the 40 and 50 footers like the ones sold by channelmaster.

Usually had them loaded pretty heavy, supported at some level and the top section dropped down, not used. This is with a good size TV antenna at the top.

For a wire dipole I use the whole thing.

They can be a bit noisy attached to the house in a big wind.

I don't remember doing anything I would consider assembly. Just put it up.

One thing you want to watch is the longer ones can bend if you extend it on the ground and try to stand it up.
I'm thinking about getting a Rohn 24'. Will It help the recive or transmitted signal? I don't know but almost 3 X's the current height of my imax 2000's (7') I'm going to give it try. The telescopic Mast will be going exactly where my iMax is right at this moment. It's right up against the tree. That's good information about one putting a taller one against a house. It might help somebody else decide it might not be the best choice. Thanks have a safe 4th 73

They don't require assembly.. just push up.
I found a 24' Rohn online and it's from DX engineers. The ad mentions some assembly.ni thought I might have to put the guy wire rings on at most. I sent them the question of assembly and they sent me an email saying they're going to get back to me in 48 hours. I down loaded and looked at a few manuals online but their not exactly what I was hoping for. Mostly ads for all their equipment. Thanks. Be safer. Happy 4th. 73

Yes all you have to do is install the guy wires .. I have a 36 foot pole works great..
My yard is to small for guy wires. I'm going to mount it to the tree. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to go about that yet. But I'm sure I will figure out the best way to do so. I won't drill any beceing into the tree. Maybe three or four chimney straps around the trunk. The tree's trunk is only about 8 ft High. I might just use the guy wire rings above the trunk to fasten the mast to some thick branches using heavy-duty bungees. I don't think it's going to go anywhere. The bottom of the Mast will be supported by a non-penetrating roof mount. It's exactly what's currently supporting my IMAX 2000. How ever I decided to fasten it I'll make sure it will stay up. Weather the 24-foot is going to improve anything is yet to be seen but I am going to go for it anyway. I cannot go any higher. The tree is just too small to support anything higher than 24 feet. Have a happy 4th. 734327-1470892314-d2c6552a576cfcb9d6b063afd192aa50.jpg FRM-166_zoom.jpg

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
I had a 35' Channelmaster Push-up clamped off to a 1 1/2" Conduit grape Arbor at my house in Houston.

Maco 5/8 on top, 80M, 40M, 20M, 10M fan dipole coming off it as well. No Guys.

If there was weather coming in, I would retract it, but most times, it was flying proud.

Worked great... then the moving company lost it for me... :mad:

Reactions: Sonar
I just buy EMT from Home Depot in 3 - 4 sizes and slip each into the next size for push up poles. Each is 10' long. I can get 28' of pole height for around $40.
38' is possible for about $60.
I have 3 of the 4 poles my 80m loop is on made with the EMT. The 4th is an old pushup pole I've had for several years.
This includes any bolts, nuts, guy rope, etc.
Screenshot_20170704-153648-01.jpeg

Reactions: CB590 and Sonar
I just buy EMT from Home Depot in 3 - 4 sizes and slip each into the next size for push up poles. Each is 10' long. I can get 28' of pole height for around $40.
I have 3 of the 4 poles my 80m loop is on made with the EMT. The 4th is an old pushup pole I've had for several years.
View attachment 21056
It's a great idea. And absolutely something that I have thought of. Unfortunately I am disabled and will have to rely on others doing it for me. Even though any one of several friends or family would have absolutely no problem heading over to Home Depot with me and purchasing the pipes needed to build my own. But favors are something I tried to keep to a minimum when not something important or totally necessary. One of them will be putting up the 24-foot telescopic Mast I'll be purchasing. Asking them to build it is something that's not necessary. It's much easier for me to purchase the telescopic Mast and then have them install it for me. I've still yet to check out some online reviews. I have purchased Rohn items before and they are of good quality. Even though the Rohn might cost $40 or $50 more for the same height push up I'll most likely choose the Rohn. The Rohn is actually the company that manufactured the exact non-penetrating roof mount that currently holds up my IMAX 2000. It was easy to assemble and the quality of the materials used was very good. I might even have to scrap the Rohn non-penetrating roof mount I'm currently using for a different style. Since it's going right up against the tree. There is a style of non-penetrating roof mount that allows for the mast 2 lay flat against whatever it is that the Mast/antenna is going to be bracketed to (a tree in my case). This is a photo of the one I currently use and the second picture is the one that is probably going to work better for me. The one I'm using as you can see is a center mounted mast/antenna and the second is is mounted at the far edge. This will have the Mast lying right against the tree making it easier to brace / bracket. I'm not sure if I'm going to use the five foot Mast supplied to install the 24-foot telescopic on top or just install the push-up in replacement of the five foot Mast supplied. It will take drilling three holes into the lower part of the telescopic mast in order to mount the tripod like supports.FRM-166_zoom.jpg MTNPRM2375_zoom.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: HomerBB
View attachment 21056
Homer, what do you use to secure each section, do you drill thru and us bolts? How about the base, do you drive the lower into ground, or use a stand, and drive a rod in for lightning protection? Sounds like a prtty good way to get an a99 or imax up a bit. That said, what do you secure your coax with...wire ties as you go up?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.