• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TELL US ABOUT YOUR SETUP

You mean a Ceramic/Glass hybrid!!! :love: :cool:
Yes, metal involved in tube components.
The origin of the term "Metal Tube" is based on description that comes partially in the discussion of the ANODE Cooling Fins. I always get a kick when I hear/see "Metal Tubes." Those "Metal" fins are removeable in some cases and reused from tube to tube. the Svetlana GS35B/GI7B are good examples.
Not criticizing, I just always found a chuckle when I hear the "Metal Tube" term used in regard to "Higher Power"
Metal jackets used to help cool tubes have been around since 30's. There were several variations where metal jackets or enclosure were used to help cool and protect the interior... 6AG7/6L6 were tubes had metal enclosures in some variations.

OK! I am bored ...I'll move along...Thank You very much 73:ROFLMAO:

1000430.jpg

Russian power triode GS-35B (ГC-35Б) with maximum anode dissipation of 1,5 kW. These tubes are well known in the DIY world and used in many projects. As you can see from the gallery it has a copper heat sink for forced air cooling. Heat sink is removable and if you remove it, you will get the GS-35A version of the tube.
img_34141.jpg
Yes BJ, I did indeed mean it in the slang big strapper vernacular. As in Prime Minister's (Aka "Sir Mix A Lot") CB raps referencing "people gettin mopped up by a steel tube" lol

IMG_20230529_165417116_HDR.jpg
Top left:
President Madison modified by @loosecannon with the Australian made Digimax channel controller, direct inject audio, and Goldfinger wide audio caps as well as a total recap, and a frequency display in place of the clock. I run this with a D104 with the original crystal element and an aftermarket mic preamp board inside along with a Texas Star 500v.

Top right:
Icom 718 with the rack gear run into the accessory port in the back. I run this into a Carl Built 4 pill with the power turned down. Radio and amplifier are keyed with a hand switch.

Middle left:
Bearcat scanner (I forget the number)
Midland ammo can GMRS radio

Middle center:
Stryker 955v2 with electret microphone using an element from a telephone handset. Ran with an XForce 4 pill.

Middle right:
Sonar 2340 that I bought from our member @Sonar several years ago. I use a stock D104 or a Turner mic. The modulation clipper board was gone when I got it and is loud with my Context 1x4 tube amp.

Bottom left:
My Grandfather's Hammerlund HQ180, I should really use it more than I do. It bugs me to have the GMRS ammo can radio sitting on it.

Bottom right:
Autek vm-1 power swr meter
MFJ six position switch for radios and antennas.

Making a guest appearance is an Anytone Ares 2

Not shown:
Low pass filter
Powermax pm3-100

Antennas:
Sirio Vector 4000 at 40 feet
Sirio 4 element horizontal at 12 feet

Edit:
Almost forgot the station monitor under the front of the desk used with headphones and no antenna. In the picture is a Cobra 148, but I have since replaced it with an Anytone 5555 because the Cobra doesn't have FM.

Last edited:
FT101ZDMK3
FT1000Da
FT2000D
BROWNING MK3s
TRAM D201A
RC12995DXCF
GALAXY SATURN
Mosley Pro 67 b3
Mosley A-511
A bunch of D104s on my CB stuff and a Heil pro 7 headset for others.
Got a few Alpha amps the 9500 89 and 78. An old 10 tube D&A Phantom a Pride DX300 and a JB 150. Got one more 11 meter piece for when I need to put the boxing gloves on which shall remain nameless lol.
does the 9500 work on 11?

Like many of you I have a few radios to choose from. I currently use a Cobra 139XLR and a President HR2510 for 10 meter. I have a good selection of mics but I LOVE my Turner +2 on most radios. I run a Texas Star 350 when needed and power it with a Pyramid PS-46XK. I keep my eye on my MFJ cross needle meter and it all goes out on a now damaged (from a tree falling) Imax 2000. I am unsure what the replacement antenna will be.

Box stock President McKinley in dash barefoot into about 13ft of RG58 with 8 turns around an FT240-61 core at the feedpoint of a 3" Breedlove NMO mount drilled through the roof of my Cherokee. Fat braided cables bonding hood and exhaust. Larsen NMO27 or NMO30BCO coil with 64" whip for mobile, MFJ telescopic on spring sometimes while parked, Moxon or inverted V on painters pole when camping. 30 watt solar panel on roof into a charge controller keeps my AGM charged but this rig doesn't draw much anyway sooo. As a side note, I couldn't believe the difference that recently added CMC made. Holy cow.

Midland MXT-275 (mixed feelings) into RG8 with a drilled roof NMO mount. Rugged Radio POINT5 while driving, vertical Moxon on a long ass stick sometimes while parked.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheRATT and codeman
Hawkeye, 351, 592 in the Carolina's:

Base setup,
Original side mounted antron 99. Base of antenna around 18' off the ground.

45' lmr400 coax.

Galaxy DX-959 barefoot, 4.5w deadkey, swing to 18w peak on AM, SSB is around 18w.

Stock SuperStar handmic.

No amp

Mobile setup,
Old school stainless steel whip.
15' 2.25" tuned length of RG8X. No reactance at all, perfect match.

Galaxy DX-949 w/RFX75. Deadkeys 12.5w, swing up to 76w peak. SSB does around 80w. Stock SuperStar handmic. I call it my Stryker Killer, already taken out 3 Stryker 955s parked beside me running Stryker antennas.

Box stock President McKinley in dash barefoot into about 13ft of RG58 with 8 turns around an FT240-61 core at the feedpoint of a 3" Breedlove NMO mount drilled through the roof of my Cherokee. Fat braided cables bonding hood and exhaust. Larsen NMO27 or NMO30BCO coil with 64" whip for mobile, MFJ telescopic on spring sometimes while parked, Moxon or inverted V on painters pole when camping. 30 watt solar panel on roof into a charge controller keeps my AGM charged but this rig doesn't draw much anyway sooo. As a side note, I couldn't believe the difference that recently added CMC made. Holy cow.

Midland MXT-275 (mixed feelings) into RG8 with a drilled roof NMO mount. Rugged Radio POINT5 while driving, vertical Moxon on a long ass stick sometimes while parked.

What CMC mean? Thanks!!

TELL US ALL ABOUT YOUR SETUP !!

What are you guys running ?? Here's mine

Cobra 139XLR (1978.) stock mike
TX600 amp
4-element quad flatside on 60' tower.
4 Mega-watt 50W power supplies in parallel
Drake W-4 wattmeter
LMR 400 Coax

So . . . I've heard so many of you on the air. What are you running ??

Lafayette-Telsat 25A
Kenwood TS-50
Yaesu FT-757GX
ICOM IC-705
Alinco DX-10
E.F. Johnson 124
Midland 13-880B

Contacts? North and Western US, in-state contacts, South American, Canada.

Usual output power? Anywhere between 5 - 18 watts

Antenna: Indoor Magnetic Loop antenna.

It's always nice to have someone bring up this topic every now and then, so....

"Merry Christmas!!" - Woody

Reactions: tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.