• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Test meter suggestions?

G-Golly Wally

WDX 719 SE Oklahoma
Nov 5, 2008
Southeastern Oklahoma
My old Dosy TC 4002 -PSW test center seems to have stopped functioning correctly, enough so that I don't trust it anymore. I worked 20 years in an electric motor factory so I'm familiar with the smell of burnt electronics, and that's the smell that hit me when I took the cover off of it. Would like some suggestions of a good replacement meter, I've had this Dosy since 1991.

Reactions: Keto

I have a few meter sets. I have a PDC600 that was NOT accurate at all, but I got it as close to my BIRD as I could, I also have a Kenwood SW-2000 that I use at the same time. Then I have 2 BIRD meters. I figure that I have a good range to look at in case something in the chain fails.
I've been doing this for way too long and am probably going overboard, but what the hell, right?

Reactions: G-Golly Wally
I had a Daiwa 901-HP3 about 4 months ago and couldn't get it to measure (was in avg mode, not p.e.p) the SWRs on my Stryker 655. Needle wouldn't even twitch...even when dead keying 6 watts. I have to wonder if they even work on cb radios, or if the one I got was a dud. Keep us informed OP about your new incoming meter.

I'm hoping nothing like that happens, I did see some reviews complaining of the meter being DOA. But I read reviews like that on several different meters, keeping my fingers crossed

Last edited:
Let us know how that meter works out OP.
I've read several reviews where they end up calibrating the meter to a bird 43 or the like.
Just curious I'm wondering if any retailers would actually calibrate it to a Bird meter before they shipped it?

Let us know how that meter works out OP.
I've read several reviews where they end up calibrating the meter to a bird 43 or the like.
Just curious I'm wondering if any retailers would actually calibrate it to a Bird meter before they shipped it?
That wouldn't constitute a legitimate "calibration", IMO. The Bird 43 is not a Lab Standard, it requires periodic calibration itself. Read a bit about the calibration process; it's a science unto itself.

Say you have "X" meter, which doesn't seem to be working properly. So you compare readings from X and a Bird 43. Neither one of which bears a current calibration certification. Which meter is closer to the actual reading? You don't know -- all you have is a gut feeling that hey, THIS is a BIRD! It's gotta be right!

That wouldn't constitute a legitimate "calibration", IMO. The Bird 43 is not a Lab Standard, it requires periodic calibration itself. Read a bit about the calibration process; it's a science unto itself.

Say you have "X" meter, which doesn't seem to be working properly. So you compare readings from X and a Bird 43. Neither one of which bears a current calibration certification. Which meter is closer to the actual reading? You don't know -- all you have is a gut feeling that hey, THIS is a BIRD! It's gotta be right!
I'll get a Bird 43 one day, it seems most on here have more than one meter, which is probably a good Idea. Im going to see if the Dosy meter can be fixed. I hear a lot of opinions about how Dosy is junk, maybe the newer ones are IDK??? But I've had mine since 1991 and never had an issue with it until just recently.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?