• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TEXAS STAR 500 AND POWER SUPPLY

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
I've made up my mind and would like to retire my Phantom, 300a, and 350z.
I'd like to go with a Texas Star 500. I'm open to the the 500V, but I've read a few postings here on WWDX about the 500V not being as good as the straight 500. I want to use it on SSB as well as AM. I will not concider a class C comp. amp. I will not concider a Xforce, Dave Made, or any Class C comp. amps. From my research I've discovered that Texas Star amps are class AB or B as transistors can't be AB1 biased.
I'm not sure how the amps class can affect my AM operation, but I do know that class C is not a good choice for SSB.
I'm having a rough time finding the 500. All avalible TS 500's are the model 500V.
Is the 500 still avalible? If so a seller link would be appreciated .
As far as the power supply I'm looking at 70 amp varieties.
Due to my disability I'd like to get one in which it voltage can be adjusted via knobs and not a screwdriver. A PS with a voltage and amperage digital readout like the one would be a plus, but anolog meters is fine. I wish mega sold power supplies like the ones pictured below but they don't.
Does anyone use either one of the power supplies pictured below? I've yet to check eham for reviews but will do so shortly.
I'm open for suggestions on power supplies and amps. Advice on the translators/pills in the amp that I should be looking for is also appreciated. Class suggestions and exsplainatiins about why class is important would also be cool.
PS. I'm currently recovering from surgery, and as soon as I'm good I'll be dropping 808 (shady tree mechanic) a line so he could FINALY come over and put my antenna back up. Between the surgery and the virus I have been and will be spending much time at home. I'd love to get back on air as tv is getting old fast. Thanks my friend's. 73
Amerit2.jpg s-l400.jpg

Delta has the 500V. The straight 500 is no longer being produced.
DELTA

For a power supply, I'm using Megawatt switching PSUs. I have paralleled 2 of the S-700 (50A) for an available 100A. You can check them out here:

MEGAWATT
I have the same supply set up for my 4 pill and I'm happy with them but I won't stack any more. If I need more amps I'll invest in a big force supply.

Delta 7 the 500V. The straight 500 is no longer being produced.
DELTA

For a power supply, I'm using Megawatt switching PSUs. I have paralleled 2 of the S-700 (50A) for an available 100A. You can check them out here:

MEGAWATT
I can't use the megawatt power supplies. I like to do things myself and try not to rely on others when possible.

As you know one needs to fasten power wire/cables to the megawatt using a screwdriver.

Also a voltage adjustments will need to be done with a screwdriver.

I need a power supply in which I can adjust the voltage via knobs on the front panel. In all honesty I'm sometimes a scatterbrain and feel a lot more comfortable being able to see the voltage and amperage on the front panel via meters.
That's the type of power supply I'm looking for. I have read that 70-75 amps is sufficient enough for the 500V.
If 100 amps is better for the 500v then I will inevitably purchase a 100 amp power supply. I'm hoping other members reply to my questions.
As I mentioned above it must have knobs in order for me to adjust the voltage (if needed.)
I also like the idea that some power supplies use front facing power poles, in order to fasten the amplifiers power cables to it. Thanks Greg. 73 PPS. Check out photos below.
Amerit2.jpg s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
I can't use the megawatt power supplies. I like to do things myself and try not to rely on others when possible.

As you know one needs to fasten power wire/cables to the megawatt using a screwdriver.

Also 30 voltage adjustments will need to be done with a screwdriver.

I need a power supply in which I can adjust the voltage via knobs on the front panel. In all honesty I'm sometimes a scatterbrain and feel a lot more comfortable being able to see the voltage and amperage on the front panel via meters.
That's the type of power supply I'm looking for. I have read that 70 amps is sufficient enough for the 500V.
If 100 amps is better for the 500v then I will inevitably purchase a 100 amp power supply. I'm hoping other members reply to my questions.
As I mentioned above it must have knobs in order for me to adjust the voltage (if needed.)
I also like the idea that some power supplies use front facing power poles, in order to fasten the amplifiers power cables to it. Thanks Greg. 73 PPS. Check out photos below.

I see. When you mentioned using it for the 500V I was thinking you'd set the voltage at 14V and forget it. You can't really "volt" the newer TS 500s because of the chinesium transistors and smaller internals than the old guys. If you're having to adjust voltages that much you must be using the PSU for a handful of units.

They aren't cheap but you can probably get what you want here.

http://www.xforceamps.com/item/Adjustable-Regulated-Power-Supply-448

Oh, my goodness! You do what you want, but I would NEVER use one of those things. I have seen a couple opened up on you tube and they are JUNK. Just a stack of switching supplies stacked, but not stacked properly and with extremely light gauge wire and no protection. Mike Bialecki, from Mike's Radio Repair, pulled one apart to check it out and he nearly had a bird. Please, before you use one of those time bombs, watch his video.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
My neighbor runs a 570 amp xforce and has had zero issues..
Personally I don't see am issue running switching supplys paralell. It depends on how much money you have to spend.
Big amp linear "iron" supply are very expensive.

Reactions: NZ8N
My neighbor runs a 570 amp xforce and has had zero issues..
Personally I don't see am issue running switching supplys paralell. It depends on how much money you have to spend.
Big amp linear "iron" supply are very expensive.

Agreed. But they have to be constructed properly. The megawatt S-700s are built to be stacked and have the sense circuit built into them. They can be strung together for miles. X-Force isn't doing it that way.

A 4 pill draw 60+ amps. Honestly you need at least a 100 amp supply to properly power a 4 pill and not strain your supply. A 70a is not enough imo.

Reactions: S&W357 and NZ8N
I see. When you mentioned using it for the 500V I was thinking you'd set the voltage at 14V and forget it. You can't really "volt" the newer TS 500s because of the chinesium transistors and smaller internals than the old guys. If you're having to adjust voltages that much you must be using the PSU for a handful of units.
It'll for the most part be set and forget.
But for those time I might have to change the voltage id like to be able to do it myself.
Everything I run except for what will be the TS 500V either has a bilt in power supply or wall wart. The connections are also important.
I like the (10 amp) cigarette lighter plug, and the power pole connections on the mfj 75 amp PS and the ameritron 75 amp
PS. I'm looking at the jetstream right now. It's also a 75 amp power supply. Unfortunately all three power supplies I mentioned above have gotten reviews stating that some of the units purchased by ham radio operators seem to emit hash. I'm assuming hash is a problem when 1 is using the power supply for a transceiver. Apparently the hash effects the receive. I'm assuming that doesn't come into play when using the power supply 4 an amplifier.

Reactions: Greg T
It'll for the most part be set and forget.
But for those time I might have to change the voltage id like to be able to do it myself.
Everything I run except for what will be the TS 500V either has a bilt in power supply or wall wart. The connections are also important.
I like the (10 amp) cigarette lighter plug, and the power pole connections on the mfj 75 amp PS and the ameritron 75 amp
PS. I'm looking at the jetstream right now. It's also a 75 amp power supply. Unfortunately all three power supplies I mentioned above have gotten reviews stating that some of the units purchased by ham radio operators seem to emit hash. I'm assuming hash is a problem when 1 is using the power supply for a transceiver. Apparently the hash effects the receive. I'm assuming that doesn't come into play when using the power supply 4 an amplifier.

The way I set mine up is I mounted an 8 circuit fuse panel on the wall, automotive type. Then I ran 6ga wire from the supplies to the fuse panel. The panel has spade connectors for connecting devices up so all I need to do it plug in whatever I want and add a fuse to the panel.

Sonar, keep an eye out for them on eBay. I have seen dx500 Texas Stars for sale the almost every week (I have been half-heartedly looking for a dx667 lately). Heck, you should be able to find a dx400 & swap in some 2879's a little biasing & have yourself a 500.

Reactions: Sonar

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.