• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TEXAS STAR 500 AND POWER SUPPLY

The Ameritron or MFJ model 75MV is a good power supply to run a Texas Star 500v .
You can run the TS500V with up to 15 VDC if you like. all will be okay.
These are mobil amps designed to operate in a system that the alternators will output up to 15VDC. Not an issue.
I have operated my 500's at 14.3~14.5 volts for years with no problems.

Reactions: Sonar and walterjn
Sonar, keep an eye out for them on eBay. I have seen dx500 Texas Stars for sale the almost every week (I have been half-heartedly looking for a dx667 lately). Heck, you should be able to find a dx400 & swap in some 2879's a little biasing & have yourself a 500.
I'm not looking to do any more than remove it (the 500X) from the box, hook it up, and operate. Please understand that besides my severe disability my knowledge about the technical aspects of our hobby is very limited. Even if my knowledge was enough to do the modifications you mention my disability will not allow it. There's an eBay seller from Brooklyn New York (the old neighborhood.) I'm most likely going to purchase the amplifier from him (a 100% long-time seller.) I very rarely pass up a chance to keep the money in my communities. I'm still waiting to hear from those who you think the 75 amp power supply will suffice. Should I consider a 100-amp PS?

Reactions: Tokin and walterjn
The Ameritron or MFJ model 75MV is a good power supply to run a Texas Star 500v .
These are mobil amps designed to operate in a system that the alternators will output up to 15VDC. Not an issue.
In your opinion the 75 amp PS should be sufficient?

In your opinion the 75 amp PS should be sufficient?
Sonar, I'm very sorry to hear that your disability won't let you do as much as you desire to.
Now, as far as the 75 amp power supply, Amps x volts = watts. 75amps x 12volts = 900watts. Everything I have read the 500 loafs along at about 450-500 watts. Driven hard it can put out about 700 watts. Even running that PS at 12 watts your good with that 75 amp PS. Running that 75 PS at 14.5 volts, and you're good to just over 1k watts.
Hope that you get the amp you want & I hope to hear you on the air someday!

Sonar, keep an eye out for them on eBay. I have seen dx500 Texas Stars for sale the almost every week (I have been half-heartedly looking for a dx667 lately). Heck, you should be able to find a dx400 & swap in some 2879's a little biasing & have yourself a 500.
What's the difference between the 500V, and 500?
In all honesty is rather buy new.
If there's a advantage to owning (running) a 500 over the 500V I might concider purchasing a 500.
Since the amps I own were out of production when I pitched them I had no choice but to buy second hand.

Reactions: walterjn
Sonar, I'm very sorry to hear that your disability won't let you do as much as you desire to.
Now, as far as the 75 amp power supply, Amps x volts = watts. 75amps x 12volts = 900watts. Everything I have read the 500 loafs along at about 450-500 watts. Driven hard it can put out about 700 watts. Even running that PS at 12 watts your good with that 75 amp PS. Running that 75 PS at 14.5 volts, and you're good to just over 1k watts.
Hope that you get the amp you want & I hope to hear you on the air someday!
In all honesty i wouldn't drive 4 transistor over 500. Especially since there's gonna be no difference on the other end.
I drive my phantom, 300a, and 350Z with 1/1 2 DK, and 18 pep (normally 15pep.)
It's probably why all 3 of my amps still have their original tubes. All 3 still show full output. If I drive them harder with 4 DK 20 pep I see full output. Pills are like tubes. If one drives them soft those pills should provide trundle free operation for a minute.
If upgrading the power wires and other internal amp wires benefits the amp I'll send it out and have those upgrades performed.
Any advice on upgrading Texas Star amps (if Bessemer) would be paper appreciation.

Reactions: Greg T
Take a look at the peak VS the continuous ratings. I have seen some psu rated at 50 peak amps but only 35 continuous. My old one was rated at 40 amps peak and 36 continuous. My new pair are rated at 50 amps with 100% duty cycle.
The Jetstream JTPS75 is 75 surge and 65 continues.
THE MFJ 4275MV is 75 max and 70 continuous.
The Ameritron SPSMV75 is 75 max and 70 continuous.
I suspect the Ameritron and MFJ.are the same power Supplies labeled differently. Those two power supplies have the exact same dimensions, and have the same exact layout as far as the hookups, meters, and everything else goes. The only thing that's different is the price. The Ameritron is $289.95 (free shipping from gigs parts,) and the MFJ $269.95 (free shipping also from giga parts.)
The MFJ is 4.0 - 16 volts (adjustable) as is the Ameritron.
I took another look, and was correct when I wrote that both power supplies were the exactly the same with different company names.
I'm assuming their made in china, for both companies.
I'm crossing the Jetstreamm off the short list.
I don't like that it's only 60 amps continuous.
zmf-4275mv.jpg Amerit2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg T
I drive my phantom, 300a, and 350Z with 1/1 2 DK, and 18 pep (normally 15pep.)
It's probably why all 3 of my amps still have their original tubes. All 3 still show full output. If I drive them harder with 4 DK 20 pep I see full output. Pills are like tubes. If one drives them soft those pills should provide trundle free operation for a minute.
If upgrading the power wires and other internal amp wires benefits the amp I'll send it out and have those upgrades performed.
Any advice on upgrading Texas Star amps (if Bessemer) would be paper appreciation.
I have a repairable 350Z if you're interested. It was working perfectly until I sold it and ebay forced a return and it came back with a broken input selector switch. It's just sitting on the bench now. I wanting to part with it.

Reactions: Sonar
So when I googled amp draw for a ts500v this popped up first lmao.
While a 75 will suffice I'd still feel better spending a few more bucks for a 100a and loaf it along a little more.
Screenshot_20200726-092106.png Screenshot_20200726-092716.png

Well, guys. I don't know how that could be because the 500V has a 45A fuse inside that doesn't blow when the amp is used correctly. If these people are pulling 62 amps I would have to say they beating the piss out of it.
Take a look HERE:

Reactions: Tokin
Those numbers will vary depending on multiple factors. I posted that because it gave real use numbers from a trusted member and it's only a couple years old and still relevant.

If I have learned nothing else in this hobby it's that if a piece of equipment will "suffice" it's probably best to upgrade a little bit to save stress on my gear, or atleast be planning on a near future upgrade. If the supply I'm using will be pushed further than 50% duty at full modulation I'm looking to upgrade a little.

Reactions: Keto and Sonar
Those numbers will vary depending on multiple factors. I posted that because it gave real use numbers from a trusted member and it's only a couple years old and still relevant.

If I have learned nothing else in this hobby it's that if a piece of equipment will "suffice" it's probably best to upgrade a little bit to save stress on my gear, or atleast be planning on a near future upgrade. If the supply I'm using will be pushed further than 50% duty at full modulation I'm looking to upgrade a little.

You can also bet that ratings are extremely overrated. That's why I mentioned PEAK amps in the above thread. Always look for continuous output ratings.

I have a repairable 350Z if you're interested. It was working perfectly until I sold it and ebay forced a return and it came back with a broken input selector switch. It's just sitting on the bench now. I wanting to part with it.
I appreciate the thought. But I had the 350Z gone through and upgrades about 3 years ago.
I'm not sure why the 350Z gets such a bad rap.
It was upgraded about 3 years ago, and it works excellent.
It's quiet (fan wise) runs cool and is a breeze to tune. It was flakey on the run up's before I got it back from the tech.. When I got it back I ran it with my SSB rig the uniden Madison. I got excellent reports on SSB.
After a week I decided.to go with the phantom on the Madison (for SSB) and hooked up the 350Z to my Sonar.
On AM with my fs 2340 i get great reports and with 1/1 2 watts DK and 18 pep i get 125 DK and 500 pep.
It didn't take long before the 350Z overtook my 300a as my favourite CB amplifier.
The 350Z performs flawlessly and hope it stays that way (Knock on wood.) Thanks ps. What's wrong with it and how is it cosmetically (linside and out?) Maybe someone might be interested.
5196-1507929749-1d770a9a2b7fb320a6faf6bc80d42cf0.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.