• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas star 500

Mogo333

May 25, 2015
I jusT got a general lee and a Texas star 500 with a 102" steel whip wondering if any one knows how I should set it up and what kind of output it should do it's going in my pickup thanks

I would do some major reading and research before coming and asking how to install a complete setup. There is a lot to it! Not just slap it together or plug and play stuff. You will need to also add to the list you have an external swr/power meter, a 6" spring or 102" adjustable riser to get the vswr correct for 11m as the the antenna needs to be about 108" total length. Install the radio and tune the antenna first before ever adding the amp. And please get some learn on before adding the amp. You don't want to see smoke and have a Texas star door stop!! An antenna analyzer would be great if you can get your hands on one. You also need a good mount for the antenna. Check out Breedlove mounts. They are made well. Again do plenty of research and get some learn on before you dive into a 4 pill amp setup not knowing much. JMHO.

Reactions: midnight special
Not trying to be rude, but if you don't have any clue as to how to hook up all of this, you really should do some reading before you hook that amp up. Get your antenna system right and then go from there. And remeber clean in equals clean out. So if you start with a peaked and tweaked radio, you are just going to amplify that signal. Again, do some reading about vswr, and RF and how things work. It will keep you from having issues!! Have a good one and good luck.

Reactions: Robb
Too bad you ain't local. I'd help you with the set up.
I have been told every thing from a 3 watt dead key and swing 20-25 to a 2 watt dead key and swing 20-20 I am leaning on buying a predator 10k because I already run one on my galaxy47hp in my tractor trailer and love it great ears and perfect swr what are your thoughts? Thanks for your time

I have been told every thing from a 3 watt dead key and swing 20-25 to a 2 watt dead key and swing 20-20 I am leaning on buying a predator 10k because I already run one on my galaxy47hp in my tractor trailer and love it great ears and perfect swr what are your thoughts? Thanks for your time
I have had a dx350 high drive and a connex3300 with a predator 10k before with a1.5 dead key just trying to do some homework

You want make the amp dead key about 1/4 of the total output. This may take anywhere from .5-3 watts or more or less. I would set the amp to get a dead key of about 75-100 watts max carrier, how ever much that will take, you'll have to play with the dead key wattage to get it right.

And as far as PEP wattage, 15-20 watts is all that is needed. Better to loaf the amp along than to over drive it and sound like chit!!

Good information so far. As stated, once you get the antenna system in order you can then tackle the amp install. You will need to run the power line straight to the battery, probably at least #6 find multi strand wire and maybe #4 if it's a long run. Ground can be short and to the firewall or floorboard. You will also want a 60 or 70 amp fuse as close to the battery as possible as well as the fuse set-up in the amp. Last a 6' jumper and your ready. I would also suggest soldering Anderson style quick-disconnects near the amplifier, this will make it easy to remove the amp if need be or cut the power to it in an emergency.

I have had a dx350 high drive and a connex3300 with a predator 10k before with a1.5 dead key just trying to do some homework
The Connex 3300HP and the General Lee are basically the same radio...Both are dual final and peak around 40w's, so you can set the Lee up the same way you did the Connex and be fine since your actually going to a bigger Amp with the TS 500... 1 1/2 to 2w DK will be fine...

As for as the Predator go's...IF height is not a problem, go with the original single-coil Predator 10K....These tune around 7'....If roof mounted, I always like the 17" lower shaft, but the 12" will work too, just might not tune quite as low as the 17".

I jusT got a general lee and a Texas star 500 with a 102" steel whip wondering if any one knows how I should set it up and what kind of output it should do it's going in my pickup thanks
Put it on a scope and max it out until you start to see IMD, then back it down until the IMD disappears. What ever you get, that is as much as you get. No two will be exactly the same. Too many variables.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.