• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star 500v

tunercars

Sep 12, 2012
when i turn on the 500v the receive cuts out what can cause this power output from the amp is normal but when the delay is pushed in for SSB it don't delay turn the amp off and receive comes back

i thought that too but it keys on and off
That just means it is "mechanically" working.... The actual contacts are "pads" on the armature (part the moves back and forth when you key/unkey) and the fixed NO/NC (normally open/ normally closed) post. Every key causes a little ach and over time the surfaces become too worn or corroded to make good contact. You can, most of the time, remove the cover and lightly sand the surface with some 3K grit paper like you would the points in an old car.

Attachments

• Relay-Internal-Diagram-1024x574-998354103.jpg
    Relay-Internal-Diagram-1024x574-998354103.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 68
That just means it is "mechanically" working.... The actual contacts are "pads" on the armature (part the moves back and forth when you key/unkey) and the fixed NO/NC (normally open/ normally closed) post. Every key causes a little ach and over time the surfaces become too worn or corroded to make good contact. You can, most of the time, remove the cover and lightly sand the surface with some 3K grit paper like you would the points in an old car.
ill try that but its new so it shouldn't do that so soon i did take the cover off and look inside it seems to look okay ? ill get a pic and show you i can take the cover off the relay and look at it to while im at it i agree it has to be relay related as its not clicking like it should could the relay be stuck ?

It could very well be the relay is not working correctly. Use an Ohm meter to check continuity when keyed and unkeyed at the SO-239s. follow "this" video to manually key the circuit. Also, does the pre-amp affect the receive in any way?

It could very well be the relay is not working correctly. Use an Ohm meter to check continuity when keyed and unkeyed at the SO-239s. follow "this" video to manually key the circuit. Also, does the pre-amp affect the receive in any way?
okay so what's happening is the relay is turning on as soon as the amp is turned on i tapped on it to see if i could get it to break the contact and the meter light went out and it moved very little but still making contact so i turned it off and the relay went to the off position and as soon as i turned it back on it went right back to being in the transmit mode what would make the relay make contact as soon as the amp is turned on ?

okay so what's happening is the relay is turning on as soon as the amp is turned on i tapped on it to see if i could get it to break the contact and the meter light went out and it moved very little but still making contact so i turned it off and the relay went to the off position and as soon as i turned it back on it went right back to being in the transmit mode what would make the relay make contact as soon as the amp is turned on ?
No radio connected, it keys? If so, I'd say use the circuit in the video I posted as a troubleshooting tool. Sounds like the keying circuit or component is shorted as done in the video.

No radio connected, it keys? If so, I'd say use the circuit in the video I posted as a troubleshooting tool. Sounds like the keying circuit or component is shorted as done in the video.
yeah i think its the keying transistor i got a hold of john at galaxy i have to call him back later today but that would he thinks as well

Sounds as if the keying transistor is shorted.....
Whichever it is, it's an easy fix.
Texas Star amplifiers are not complicated. Sometimes take a little time to pin point the issue, but I have repaired/rebuilt quite a lot of Texas Star amps.
The TS 350 and 500 are the easiest to repair, if it's not all burnt up.....

Last edited:
Sounds as if the keying transistor is shorted.....
Whichever it is, it's an easy fix.
Texas Star amplifiers are not complicated. Sometimes take a little time to pin point the issue, but I have repaired/rebuilt quite a lot of Texas Star amps.
The TS 30 and 500 are the easiest to repair, if it's not all burnt up.....
right it works otherwise so just trying to get it figured out

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.