• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star Amp Repair free help

@ TexasStarRepairGuy What is the max PeP into a ts 500V? fuses removed bypassed, wimpy 10awg removed inside and replaced with 4awg. Running @ Constant 14.7VDC

Mike's amp repair site has been down now for a couple of weeks. does any one know if he shut it down. I wish I had copied his site to my hard drive so I would have it. so many sites are going away.

Mike's amp repair site has been down now for a couple of weeks. does any one know if he shut it down. I wish I had copied his site to my hard drive so I would have it. so many sites are going away.

His email on his first post, first page, is still good.
I have contacted him twice this year and sent a Texas Star 350 and a Texas Star 500 to him to be repaired.
He will answer your email. He will give you instructions on shipping the Texas Star in to Galaxy Radio Repair. You will have to obtain a RA number.

:bdh:
a quarter century with Texas Star, and I have been put to pasture.
I did tech support for about 10 years. I am sure that some of you must know me.
It is my intention now to help techs and hobiests to repair a stock TS amplifier. I am not an engineer and there are things which I will not debate. However, I can usually fix one and not to have it blow itself up again.

I have made the simplest of web pages which I invite you to. Go to the troubleshooting page and pick up some pointers.
You can e-mail me with questions. I really like a digital picture with your question as a picture can be worth a thousand words. I may be able to recognize modifications or vintage of manufacture, or maybe even see a short or open from the pic.
I will try to come in here occasionally and look at the threads.

Remember, when you replace transistors on a Texas Star amp you need to check the bias circuit or you may just blow the replacement finals.
1 extra minute is all I suggest. Read the bias resistance, then manually key up and read the bias voltages.
GO to YouTube and look for Texas star Amp Repair
you will find manual key-up procedure and bias check procedure.

My name is Mike and I hope that I can help some of you.

TexasStarRepair@cox.net
Home Page
I'm new to the hobby and dont know to much ,I have a stock texas star 350 HD ,when I key up to talk then release my amp stays stuck .I have to cut it off for it to release it's self. I thought it might be my set up but I took it out and put it in my brother's truck and it does the same thing.

I'm new to the hobby and dont know to much ,I have a stock texas star 350 HD ,when I key up to talk then release my amp stays stuck .I have to cut it off for it to release it's self. I thought it might be my set up but I took it out and put it in my brother's truck and it does the same thing.
Sounds like it might be oscillating. What is the SWR between the radio and amp when keyed?

Yep, I have seen that issue numerous times .......
Could be one of several things. No need to list the possible causes here.
Someone, somewhat experienced with these amps, needs to take a look at it.
It is an easy fix on the 350, but also will probably need to replace the DEI power transistors with some better ones.
I just replaced 4 of the DEI's in a brand new Texas Star DX-500V for a friend that was causing several problems. Used RF Parts branded HG's, ..... RFP 2SC2879
The DEI's are notorious junk. They either work okay, or hardly not at all .......cause all kinds of issues.

It is my intention now to help techs and hobiests to repair a stock TS amplifier. I am not an engineer and there are things which I will not debate. However, I can usually fix one and not to have it blow itself up again.

I have made the simplest of web pages which I invite you to. Go to the troubleshooting page and pick up some pointers.
You can e-mail me with questions. I really like a digital picture with your question as a picture can be worth a thousand words. I may be able to recognize modifications or vintage of manufacture, or maybe even see a short or open from the pic.

Remember, when you replace transistors on a Texas Star amp you need to check the bias circuit or you may just blow the replacement finals.
1 extra minute is all I suggest. Read the bias resistance, then manually key up and read the bias voltages.

TexasStarRepair@cox.net
Home Page

TexasStarRepair@cox.net
Home Page

TexasStarRepair@cox.net
Home Page

[QUOTE="Joseph1212, post: 704247, member:

Mike This is Joe I bought a brand new Texas star 500v and love it but
When I run amp and push green button variable in and run max my swr is 1.2 no problem and I bought a brand new Wilson 1000 magnetic mount but when I disengage the green button and run amp the swr goes to over two????? So I tested amp with dummy load and swr flat with both ways button in or out and amp gets about same watts what in the world would make the swr go up doesn’t make since like I said you can run 450 with button in swr flat with out high swr and on dummy load in or out swr flat Iam not the only one having problem it’s all over internet couldn’t be anything wrong with amp because it runs great on dummy load but why would it go up on Wilson when Wilson is handling power great with variable doesn’t make since????
logo@200.png

[QUOTE="Joseph1212, post: 704247, member:

Mike This is Joe I bought a brand new Texas star 500v and love it but
When I run amp and push green button variable in and run max my swr is 1.2 no problem and I bought a brand new Wilson 1000 magnetic mount but when I disengage the green button and run amp the swr goes to over two????? So I tested amp with dummy load and swr flat with both ways button in or out and amp gets about same watts what in the world would make the swr go up doesn’t make since like I said you can run 450 with button in swr flat with out high swr and on dummy load in or out swr flat Iam not the only one having problem it’s all over internet couldn’t be anything wrong with amp because it runs great on dummy load but why would it go up on Wilson when Wilson is handling power great with variable doesn’t make since????
logo@200.png
Welcome! Mike hasn't been here in a few years now so he might not see this. Start a new thread describing your problem and I am sure someone can help you. If it is ok on a dummy load and not an antenna,there might be an internal problem with the balance of power from the transistor pairs. I wonder if the people from MFJ are working at Texas star now?
Chris

I'm not sure Mike is even alive anymore.I sent him an E-mail and it bounced so the e-mail he had is not good anymore, I think he's gone.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.