• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star Base Station

bluesman1975

Feb 13, 2015
My buddy just bought a Texas Star base station that is silver and looks like the Colt Excalibur. Anyone know anything about these radios?

Looks like its an RCI made radio If it's like the one below. They came in silver also I believe. Hope this helps some. Looks like a 959 in a base to me. Don't know what the PA section has for transistors so not sure of output. Only other feature I see on this one is weather. Hope it may help some.
image.jpg

I appreciate the post...this looks alot like it except for it being silver and it says Texas Star instead of Texas Ranger like the radio in the pic. It's kind on an oddball I guess. I'm gonna take the top off of it and see what board is in it tomorrow after the Hamfest in town...:D

Bluesman, Did you ever find out what board is in this Texas Star base brother ?

Or does ANYBODY know, I can't seem to find anything on this radio period other than pics ?

I might get one so it would be nice to know !

Thanks, Retro

Wonder what the premium was for that over a mobile and cheap switching supply?

I have never seen the point of paying a premium for a mobile radio stuffed into a big box with a cheap supply built in???

To my way of thinking it was always a matter of "More money than brains!" really. I know that will offend many but you can not have any opinion about anything today with out offending someone!

When I find out someone over paid for something like spending 3X+ as much to get the same utility I laugh my butt off internally! That is like paying MSRP for a car or truck!

It would be different if you where simply paying what you would pay for a mobile+power supply but that is never the case is it?!?!?!

When I buy a base station I never pay more than I would for a mobile. It is not as if CB is popular today plenty of boat anchor base stations on Ebay all the time. If you let one go another will be listed in a day or two just keep at it until you get lucky!

That and people seem to think if something is old it must be worth a lot of money. This is when you see "Rare" and "Vintage" in the description! That and for the record guys 30-50 year old NOS is nothing special in fact NOS that old is almost certain to need all of it's lytic caps replaced. From a functional standpoint a well used version in very nice cosmetic shape is likely a safer buy since nothing is harder on electronics than leaving it in the box and not using it for decades! Electronics that are unused do not age well it is kind of like old car's that are left to sit and rust and rot away to nothing.

To be exact, it's the EPT360011z
It looks like its most likely the same board as the original 5 band Saturn base, but without a few options. It has 2 antenna outputs where the Saturn only has one in place of a variable power, H/L power switch in place of +10kc, CB/PA where the echo on/off would be, and no roger beep or frequency counter.

Reactions: Retro CB Guy
It looks like its most likely the same board as the original 5 band Saturn base, but without a few options. It has 2 antenna outputs where the Saturn only has one in place of a variable power, H/L power switch in place of +10kc, CB/PA where the echo on/off would be, and no roger beep or frequency counter.
Yeah I don't know what is in the Saturn base in terms of the exact same board with a few different features. I'm also trying to track down a crystal filter for this base which is 10.695mhz and attaches to the PCB with 6pins soldered in. USB is a bit shrill sounding.

But I've had mine converted as well with a neat DDS setup!

73's

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Yeah I don't know what is in the Saturn base in terms of the exact same board with a few different features. I'm also trying to track down a crystal filter for this base which is 10.695mhz and attaches to the PCB with 6pins soldered in. USB is a bit shrill sounding.

But I've had mine converted as well with a neat DDS setup!

73's
Here what mine looks like now!

Retro

Attachments

• 20230114_184021.jpg
    20230114_184021.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 35

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated