• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The "Bloom Box" Energy Cell

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
I watched "60 Minutes" on CNBC tonight that had aired a extremely interesting story. "Bloom Energy" has built energy cells that use a series of stacked ceramic plates that uses a unique green ink on one side. As well as an equally unique black ink on the other side. Just one of these plates are about the size of 3 1/2 inch floppy diskette that are heated to about 1k degrees Fahrenheit and can power a single light bulb.

A single stack of 64 of these plates can power an entire Starbucks.

It uses natural gas or bio fuel with only carbon dioxide, water, and heat as a by-product.

These Bloom Energy 'servers' (term used to describe the size and shape of one of these energy cells - each about the size of a refrigerator) cells are presently being used by Google, WalMart, Ebay, and other commercial entities at this time. Projected cost for a home unit - in the next ten years or less - is estimated to be between 3 to 7 thousand dollars.

The man who engineered this system used to work as an engineer for NASA.
The business is based in Silicon Valley.

The major problem with this technology at this time is the lack of company's ability for mass production.

I don't know the finer points on how the system actually works. Be nice to see an engineers explanation here. It would be interesting to see how these components can work together to make electrical energy extremely cheap.

Get ready for this thought: this item may well be in 20% of all American homes within the next 5 to 7 years . . .

READ:
The Bloom Box: An Energy Breakthrough? - CBS News

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV96eLggmD8

Last edited:

Definitely some interesting tech to follow. they obviously have a "working" device only time will really tell if they can hold up for the long haul, or even be manufactured cheap enough to make it a viable alternative for any but the richest corperations.

picture if it works out and they can miniaturize it like so many other things cars powered electrically by this little box instead of highly toxic batteries.

In a lot of places and locations it could mean no more power outages, a unit attached to your house or garage with a reserve tank of gas could keep you running should the normal supply line be interrupted.

lots of potential, I can't wait to see where it leads.

This was brought to my attention a while back, year or so ago.

It does work and there is an establishment that is powered only by this means of producing electricity.

If I remember right the "green" stuff is an type of algae bloom. Thus the name bloom box.

It does take a combustible source to start it IE propane or natural gas.

Production is expensive, and as stated no means of mass producing the product cost effectively.

Hopefully as technology progresses a means will be available for this to be mass produced and sold to the public.

Something is not right. One plate can power a single lightbulb yet 64 of them can power a Starbucks?? I think that a Starbucks would use more than 64 lightbulbs worth of electricity. they probably have that many lightbulbs in the place not too mention that one single industrial coffee perk uses the equivalent of 20 sixty watt lightbulbs.

Something is not right. One plate can power a single lightbulb yet 64 of them can power a Starbucks?? I think that a Starbucks would use more than 64 lightbulbs worth of electricity. they probably have that many lightbulbs in the place not too mention that one single industrial coffee perk uses the equivalent of 20 sixty watt lightbulbs.

Perhaps there is more power output when they are stacked together. Dunno. I was hoping that some more engineering details could be milked from starting this thread.

The asymptotic rise of technology is still climbing. So long as more tech from NASA and 'other sources' can become realized for its commercial potential in a world growing hungry for more energy, this energy cell can only become improved and refined. Just hope that the US is a major builder and exporter for it. That can create jobs and become a major economic contributor. The potential is there . . .

Last edited:
They sold some of there units for testing, ect aboust a couple of years ago,
FedEX,Walmart, Google, Ebay. I heard aprox $3-5K in the next 4-5yrs for
homeowners, projected by Bloom Energy CEO. Expects Electric Companies
will be there biggest customers replacing Sub-Station's with them and
selling to you.
Currently they are Privately Owned, No NYSE yet, Wonder why,
(Besides Congress) Obama could Grant Them + Worker's, Right?
Keeping an Eye On These's Folks, Could Be Next Goggle, CNBC

They sold some of there units for testing, ect aboust a couple of years ago,
FedEX,Walmart, Google, Ebay. I heard aprox $3-5K in the next 4-5yrs for
homeowners, projected by Bloom Energy CEO. Expects Electric Companies
will be there biggest customers replacing Sub-Station's with them and
selling to you.
Currently they are Privately Owned, No NYSE yet, Wonder why,
(Besides Congress) Obama could Grant Them + Worker's, Right?
Keeping an Eye On These's Folks, Could Be Next Goggle, CNBC
Kinda makes one wonder - doesn't it?
For starters, a new company that has a reasonable solution to a huge energy problem. Yet there is no listing on the stock exchange despite their huge need for capital investment. The potential of massive growth in this technology would easily get investors lining up - just as Apple Corp did for personal computers.

What Bloom tech offers even exceeds the potential that Apple did - by far.

If large private investment is behind its growth; then by design they are limiting the production in order to keep the unit price high and out of the reach of the consumer. This is counter-intuitive of necessity and obviously counter productive to demand.

What are they thinking?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.