• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The GS35B Project

Don't You Love The Smell Of Ozone In Your Radio Room?

• I don't know what Ozone smells like.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want my Radio Room to smell like the guy who built my "8-Pill" Base Amp.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

paws264

Apr 6, 2005
The Russian tubes are available to the US market for a good price and if they can be adapted for "specialized services" there will be a re-birth of tube amplifier equipment.

The "Russian" Project

These are a few pics of the project.
edit: I started out with just the tube and, built the amp around it. This is the "prototype", not the final production model (so don't go busting my balls).

I will post pics of the High Voltage power supply later.

Master Chief said:
Actually, the quality of that box looks like.....well....a CB quality amp.

No, actually it looks like the Prototype of what will be a QUALITY line of single band (CB?) amplifiers using the GS-35B tube.

It reminds me of a recent post by Nomad on another thread where he spoke of cheap parts in a cheap amp.

The quality of the work that Chris (Nomad) does in the KY, OH and, Indiana speaks for itself as well as Nomad speaking for himself; don't go dragging someone else's words into this conversation. If, you have something to say, you say it.

Yes, I did use only the "scrap-box" parts that I have lying around to construct this amplifier, however, when YOU get over 25 years experience repairing and building specialized communications equipment you will also have a "DEEP Scrap-box" to draw from.

When you have 25 years experience you will know what parts you can and cannot use and where to put them.

Will it work? Probably, but for how long is the question.

Yes it does work, and I will use it to get info on the operation of these tubes; it's a "Prototype", not a production model.

Some questions should not be dignified with a response; there are a number of people on the "Bowl" operating equipment, "wearing my Tee-shirts" and calling my name.

That's because I been doing this for a while and, will be around to maintain any and all of my equipment.

You can buy a 2-tube socket here and have all kinds of power. There are also links to great HF amp designs.

I don't don't have to buy no "stinking" pre-fab parts; I "roll my own".

http://gs35b.com/

The tubes are available here:
http://stores.ebay.com/QRO-Stuff-Store_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amewaQ3amesstQQtZkm

Yes, all the parts and info that is needed is referenced in those links; what you cannot buy online is the hands-on EXPERIENCE and working KNOWLEDGE of High voltage/Low current RF devices and associated circuits.

I would strongly advise that only those truely qualified take on a task like this.

Yep, looks like a prototype, but how could anyone have known; unless of course you would have said so in your original post.

I'm sure there are people out there who are really proud of their Bowl Box they run and the t-shirts they got from you. I know guys who loved their TN Walkers all the way up to the point they blew it up. I will assume, from your last post, that you build a quality product. The 1000 words your picture brought to mind without the editorial said something different.

Chris is a GOD! It was his post that came to mind. I didn't say he was speaking directly to this project. It was I who put two and two together. There, I said it for a SECOND time. My words, not Chris'.

Yes, I agree, only qualified technicians should attemp this project.

My original post struck a cord with you. I didn't even know that the link you posted was even yours. Sorry about that, sincerely! You have cleared that up nicely and I can only look forward to seeing what you classify as a production model.

The GS35B is a diamond in the rough and when the CB market figures that out you will see a number of high power, low cost amps tearing up the airwaves.

Master Chief said:
Yep, looks like a prototype, but how could anyone have known; unless of course you would have said so in your original post.

My Bad

I'm sure there are people out there who are really proud of their Bowl Box they run and the t-shirts they got from you. I know guys who loved their TN Walkers all the way up to the point they blew it up.

I like Tennessee Walkers also, John builds in a form of "Job Security" for us repair engineers. I never seen a stock one yet that I could not make a minor change and see a major improvement.

I will assume, from your last post, that you build a quality product. The 1000 words your picture brought to mind without the editorial said something different.

"Tru 'Dat"

There's more glory in building big boxes but, more and consistant paydays in repairing the "Kabooms" that will happen.

Chris is a GOD! It was his post that came to mind. I didn't say he was speaking directly to this project. It was I who put two and two together. There, I said it for a SECOND time. My words, not Chris'.

My original post struck a cord with you. I didn't even know that the link you posted was even yours. Sorry about that, sincerely! You have cleared that up nicely and I can only look forward to seeing what you classify as a production model.

The GS35B is a diamond in the rough and when the CB market figures that out you will see a number of high power, low cost amps tearing up the airwaves.

I plan to be the first in my region doing it but it will not take long before others are trying them but, remember you saw it HERE first.

paws264 said:
Master Chief said:

No, actually it looks like the Prototype of what will be a QUALITY line of single band (CB?) amplifiers using the GS-35B tube.

It reminds me of a recent post by Nomad on another thread where he spoke of cheap parts in a cheap amp.

The quality of the work that Chris (Nomad) does in the KY, OH and, Indiana speaks for itself as well as Nomad speaking for himself; don't go dragging someone else's words into this conversation. If, you have something to say, you say it.

Yes, I did use only the "scrap-box" parts that I have lying around to construct this amplifier, however, when YOU get over 25 years experience repairing and building specialized communications equipment you will also have a "DEEP Scrap-box" to draw from.

When you have 25 years experience you will know what parts you can and cannot use and where to put them.

Yes it does work, and I will use it to get info on the operation of these tubes; it's a "Prototype", not a production model.

Some questions should not be dignified with a response; there are a number of people on the "Bowl" operating equipment, "wearing my Tee-shirts" and calling my name.

That's because I been doing this for a while and, will be around to maintain any and all of my equipment.

You can buy a 2-tube socket here and have all kinds of power. There are also links to great HF amp designs.

Yes, all the parts and info that is needed is referenced in those links; what you cannot buy online is the hands-on EXPERIENCE and working KNOWLEDGE of High voltage/Low current RF devices and associated circuits.

I would strongly advise that only those truely qualified take on a task like this.

What voltage do you need to light this tube , i would like to build a 2 tuber for the mobil 4 a ride around box .

Filament is 12.6 volts at 3.0 amps, Maximum plate voltage is 6000 vdc and the it draws up to 1.5 amps.

Hey Paws,
That was a righteous-looking prototype project before the picture changed. Been getting my toes wet with Russki ceramic tubes, but not much experience to pass on yet.

Wondered if you've considered the age of these tubes. Got a link here to a fella who claims that a slow 'wake up' process will reduce the risk of gas breakdown after a long shelf visit.

www.sm5bsz.com/recondit.htm

The two GU-74B tubes I got cheap were A-OK on gas when I got them, but I'm gonna follow that guy's advice anyway before I put any real fire to them.

Gotta ask, do you have any "hands-on" experience with the little (350-Watt) GI-7b triode? Thinking about a pair of them to make a high-drive box from old Phantom or PDX amplifiers. If the HV windings on the transformers don't break down from the extra stress of a voltage-doubler, a pair of them should be a good match to the wimpier ham transceivers around 100 Watts PEP. A pair of GI-7b tubes costs about the same as a single 6MJ6, let alone ten of them.

Nobody seems interested in 'low-drive' conversions any more. The 5 wpm change to the ham license test has made ham transceivers a lot more popular around here than they were 5 years ago. Anyway, the GI-7B looks a lot better than 572B tubes to resurrect the old D&A boxes. Just a half-defrosted idea, so far. Not even half-baked yet.

nomadradio said:
Hey Paws,
That was a righteous-looking prototype project before the picture changed. Been getting my toes wet with Russki ceramic tubes, but not much experience to pass on yet.

Wondered if you've considered the age of these tubes. Got a link here to a fella who claims that a slow 'wake up' process will reduce the risk of gas breakdown after a long shelf visit.

www.sm5bsz.com/recondit.htm

The two GU-74B tubes I got cheap were A-OK on gas when I got them, but I'm gonna follow that guy's advice anyway before I put any real fire to them.

Gotta ask, do you have any "hands-on" experience with the little (350-Watt) GI-7b triode? Thinking about a pair of them to make a high-drive box from old Phantom or PDX amplifiers. If the HV windings on the transformers don't break down from the extra stress of a voltage-doubler, a pair of them should be a good match to the wimpier ham transceivers around 100 Watts PEP. A pair of GI-7b tubes costs about the same as a single 6MJ6, let alone ten of them.

Nobody seems interested in 'low-drive' conversions any more. The 5 wpm change to the ham license test has made ham transceivers a lot more popular around here than they were 5 years ago. Anyway, the GI-7B looks a lot better than 572B tubes to resurrect the old D&A boxes. Just a half-defrosted idea, so far. Not even half-baked yet.

I will have to dig up some old amps that are blowed up and try these tubes this winter , thay sound like a cheep fix , thanks .

Thanks Nomad,

I have not had any experience with the other "russians" 'tho one of my associates is working with the GU-74.

With all the possibilities of the Russian tubes, it just kinda blows me away that they are not being used more. Take the GI-7B for instance, The tube is only 4.5 inches tall; 3 inches for mounting clearance), does not need a socket or, super high voltage to deliver decent watts. This tube could be an excellent "Heart Transplant" to bring some old tube boxes back to life.

Yes, I read all about the gettering and burn-in process; I constructed a tube holder and mounted it in the stripped out case of an ATX computer switching power supply. I used this as the burn-in fixture. I made the chimney from PVC piping from Home Depot.

Over a 2 day period of time I bought the filament volts up from 50% to 12.6 volts and held it there for another couple of days.

After deciding on a case, I mounted the whole "Burn-in" fixture in the box and applied full filament voltage and 1000 vdc to the plate, grounded the center-tap of the filament transformer and let it cook for 2 days. I raised the B+ to 2500 vdc and let it idle for another day; the idle current is controlled by a zener diode in the B- leg of the power supply.

So, I think that the gas and age thing might be taked care of by that procedure, it seems to want to come to life without any problematic actions (KABOOM) so far.

The black box (a power supply in a previous life) mounted in the top-rear of the chassis houses the Antenna switch relay and the variable tuned input PI-Network and control for the B- control relay.

I have vacuum variables for the output PI-Network but why waste the time mounting them on this experient; when I put the second tube in the finished box they will be tuned by a 0-50 pf @10,000 volt vacuum tuner and a 0-500 pf @ 3000 volt vacuum load tuner.

The construction was pretty much "Drill", grid dip meter was used to make resonance coils, High voltage meter is needed as well as 0-500 milliamp for grid and 0-2 amp for cathode return circuit to check operating parameters.

After I am sure that the amp and tube are stable I will increase the B+ to 3500 to 4000 vdc and watch it fly.

kc2jgl said:
paws264 said:
Master Chief said:

What voltage do you need to light this tube , i would like to build a 2 tuber for the mobil 4 a ride around box .

Hey arent you that guy named 305 from NJ you are part of a keydown team.. I am sure the FCC would like your name and callsign... i saw you on the retard forum...

paws264 said:
Master Chief said:

My Bad

I'm sure there are people out there who are really proud of their Bowl Box they run and the t-shirts they got from you. I know guys who loved their TN Walkers all the way up to the point they blew it up.

I like Tennessee Walkers also, John builds in a form of "Job Security" for us repair engineers. I never seen a stock one yet that I could not make a minor change and see a major improvement.

I will assume, from your last post, that you build a quality product. The 1000 words your picture brought to mind without the editorial said something different.

"Tru 'Dat"

There's more glory in building big boxes but, more and consistant paydays in repairing the "Kabooms" that will happen.

I plan to be the first in my region doing it but it will not take long before others are trying them but, remember you saw it HERE first.

Paws now dont take credit for something that someone else passed along the info Watercooled on the retard forum posted baout this tube months ago.. I do remeber you as a member of that forum when he posted the info... we are all banned now

jjohnson said:
paws264 said:
Master Chief said:

My Bad

"Tru 'Dat"

Paws now dont take credit for something that someone else passed along the info Watercooled on the retard forum posted baout this tube months ago.. I do remeber you as a member of that forum when he posted the info... we are all banned now
JJ i stay low key , people ask me about that fourm and i tell them find out for your self i dont want to get involved , and i voted you back on the other day . that fourm is good to stay in touch with the local keydowns .

kc2jgl said:
jjohnson said:
paws264 said:
JJ i stay low key , people ask me about that fourm and i tell them find out for your self i dont want to get involved , and i voted you back on the other day . that fourm is good to stay in touch with the local keydowns .

That forum is about retards not keydowns

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.