• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The GS35B Project

Don't You Love The Smell Of Ozone In Your Radio Room?

• I don't know what Ozone smells like.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want my Radio Room to smell like the guy who built my "8-Pill" Base Amp.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
jjohnson said:
kc2jgl said:
jjohnson said:
paws264 said:
JJ i stay low key , people ask me about that fourm and i tell them find out for your self i dont want to get involved , and i voted you back on the other day . that fourm is good to stay in touch with the local keydowns .

That forum is about retards not keydowns

That is why i am here ,I dont want to fight nor do i want trouble . Quite is good .

[quote="kc2jgl]

That is why i am here ,I dont want to fight nor do i want trouble . Quite is good .[/quote]

Oh so you changed your ways?

paws264 said:
The Russian tubes are available to the US market for a good price and if they can be adapted for "specialized services" there will be a re-birth of tube amplifier equipment.

The "Russian" Project

These are a few pics of the project.
edit: I started out with just the tube and, built the amp around it. This is the "prototype", not the final production model (so don't go busting my balls).

I will post pics of the High Voltage power supply later.

Have you built one of these amps . I would like to know if the tube does the watts .

jjohnson said:
[quote="kc2jgl]

That is why i am here ,I dont want to fight nor do i want trouble . Quite is good .

Oh so you changed your ways?[/quote]
I never started trouble , it finds me that is why you are badgering me . :D

jjohnson said:
kc2jgl said:
paws264 said:
Master Chief said:
Actually, the quality of that box looks like.....well....a CB quality amp.

No, actually it looks like the Prototype of what will be a QUALITY line of single band (CB?) amplifiers using the GS-35B tube.

It reminds me of a recent post by Nomad on another thread where he spoke of cheap parts in a cheap amp.

The quality of the work that Chris (Nomad) does in the KY, OH and, Indiana speaks for itself as well as Nomad speaking for himself; don't go dragging someone else's words into this conversation. If, you have something to say, you say it.

Yes, I did use only the "scrap-box" parts that I have lying around to construct this amplifier, however, when YOU get over 25 years experience repairing and building specialized communications equipment you will also have a "DEEP Scrap-box" to draw from.

When you have 25 years experience you will know what parts you can and cannot use and where to put them.

Will it work? Probably, but for how long is the question.

Yes it does work, and I will use it to get info on the operation of these tubes; it's a "Prototype", not a production model.

Some questions should not be dignified with a response; there are a number of people on the "Bowl" operating equipment, "wearing my Tee-shirts" and calling my name.

That's because I been doing this for a while and, will be around to maintain any and all of my equipment.

You can buy a 2-tube socket here and have all kinds of power. There are also links to great HF amp designs.

I don't don't have to buy no "stinking" pre-fab parts; I "roll my own".

http://gs35b.com/

The tubes are available here:
http://stores.ebay.com/QRO-Stuff-Store_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amewaQ3amesstQQtZkm

Yes, all the parts and info that is needed is referenced in those links; what you cannot buy online is the hands-on EXPERIENCE and working KNOWLEDGE of High voltage/Low current RF devices and associated circuits.

I would strongly advise that only those truely qualified take on a task like this.

What voltage do you need to light this tube , i would like to build a 2 tuber for the mobil 4 a ride around box .

Hey arent you that guy named 305 from NJ you are part of a keydown team.. I am sure the FCC would like your name and callsign... i saw you on the retard forum...
Hello wash ave :eek:

kc2jgl said:
jjohnson said:
kc2jgl said:
paws264 said:
Master Chief said:
Actually, the quality of that box looks like.....well....a CB quality amp.

No, actually it looks like the Prototype of what will be a QUALITY line of single band (CB?) amplifiers using the GS-35B tube.

It reminds me of a recent post by Nomad on another thread where he spoke of cheap parts in a cheap amp.

The quality of the work that Chris (Nomad) does in the KY, OH and, Indiana speaks for itself as well as Nomad speaking for himself; don't go dragging someone else's words into this conversation. If, you have something to say, you say it.

Yes, I did use only the "scrap-box" parts that I have lying around to construct this amplifier, however, when YOU get over 25 years experience repairing and building specialized communications equipment you will also have a "DEEP Scrap-box" to draw from.

When you have 25 years experience you will know what parts you can and cannot use and where to put them.

Will it work? Probably, but for how long is the question.

Yes it does work, and I will use it to get info on the operation of these tubes; it's a "Prototype", not a production model.

Some questions should not be dignified with a response; there are a number of people on the "Bowl" operating equipment, "wearing my Tee-shirts" and calling my name.

That's because I been doing this for a while and, will be around to maintain any and all of my equipment.

You can buy a 2-tube socket here and have all kinds of power. There are also links to great HF amp designs.

I don't don't have to buy no "stinking" pre-fab parts; I "roll my own".

http://gs35b.com/

The tubes are available here:
http://stores.ebay.com/QRO-Stuff-Store_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amewaQ3amesstQQtZkm

Yes, all the parts and info that is needed is referenced in those links; what you cannot buy online is the hands-on EXPERIENCE and working KNOWLEDGE of High voltage/Low current RF devices and associated circuits.

I would strongly advise that only those truely qualified take on a task like this.

What voltage do you need to light this tube , i would like to build a 2 tuber for the mobil 4 a ride around box .

Hey arent you that guy named 305 from NJ you are part of a keydown team.. I am sure the FCC would like your name and callsign... i saw you on the retard forum...
Hello wash ave :eek:

???

my buddy runs a pair of gs35's and claims they do almost 3kw on fm, it sounds very sweet on ssb, got that warm rich sound to it.

bob85 said:
my buddy runs a pair of gs35's and claims they do almost 3kw on fm, it sounds very sweet on ssb, got that warm rich sound to it.
Does he run them as a ground grid .

i have no idea about the gs35 amp other than its a two tuber and he is at least 3db stronger than he is on his acom 1000

Paw's when you gonna let me warm my coax with that "prototype"!!!!!!!!! I got my sb-200 back together tonight.Ordered 2 taylor 572's for it so so I should be on the air soon. Gonna make me a foot pedal tomarrow, would like to find an old one like that sb-220 had. I think that may have been made by heath? Sure matched in appearance. Double L ya later.

Hey Paws,
Next time somebody gives ya some QRN about a GS-35B prototype, show 'em this one.

In all fairness, I should have saved a link to this guy's web pages. No, it's not his final design, but (literally) a 'breadboard' setup to get the component values right before drilling and punching sheet metal.

Just bought a GS-6 triode for $20 with the shipping. From Donetsk, Ukraine. Won't be here too soon, but it should make my old GLA-1000 wake up and smell the coffee.

The GS-7 would be a better choice, probably. AT $70 a pair with shipping, two of them would really wake up an old Phantom 500. Couldn't resist getting my feet wet with a twenty-buck tube, though.

I gotta ask one thing. What kind of upper limit have you settled on for grid current with that tube? Seems to me they rate the GS-35B's grid for 20 Watts. A 3-500Z grid is rated for 25, but the rule for determining this particular "red line" is a bit fuzzy, when the spec sheet doesn't spell it out for you.

Since it's an indirectly-heated cathode, I wonder if a grid-current limiting "cutout" circuit like the Ameritron AL-1500 uses would be a good idea. Especially for AM operators?

I'd have thrown in a plug for my "Foot-Switch Eliminator", but it's past time to whip up another batch of them.

If you can't reach your desired output with two tubes or less, use bigger tubes.

I didn't write it, but there is WISDOM in those words! If a pair of GS-35Bs don't work, go for a pair of GU-84B tetrodes. That should give you about 8K, be reliable, and if you do it right, run cleaner than a triode amp. A little more complicated to build, but you get what you pay for.

Either way, two tubes MAX is highly recommended.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.