• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Metric System and the US... thoughts?

As for the Gimli Glider, yeah that was a screw up in converting some measurements. The fuel gauges were out of service however a perfectly acceptable procedure was to dip the tanks and compute fuel volume. Someone measured in centimeters and calculated the fuel based on inches. The aircraft had less than half the fuel they thought it had. The fact that the pilot was an experienced glider pilot and the co-pilot actually served in the Royal Canadian Air Force and had at one time been stationed at what was then RCAF Station Gimli. Unbeknownst to him however the base had been closed down and the runway converted to a drag race strip.Events were going on there at the time of the landing.

Gimli Glider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh boy, I'm going to regret this but.... I had a good friend posted there when it was active. Yes, I'm getting old. :(

That JPL error was just plain stupid. You would think that a project like that would have the units included so ft.lbs. instead of nM. It probably did but nobody paid any attention to it.

.... Hey Fred, will you grab my adjustable wrench for me, no not that one the metric one. :D

do you want the right or left handed one?

Attachments

• metric wrench.jpg
    metric wrench.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 191
Reactions: 3 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.