• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The new 2970N2 radio ?..

You had a 2995, it's the same thing in essence. If I remember, the 2995 is a single final board driving 8 fets, and the N2 is a dual final board driving 8 fets.

I thought you were buying a 2 pill for the Cobra2k?

to my understanding the 2995 is 1x4 and the 2970n2 is 2x8 if i understood it right
so yes i see the 2970 being a little better in output.may also look into the rci 69ffc4
400 watt ssb radio also. the 2970 is a good radio though. cobra 2k w/ a 2 pill amp
will be about the same as what u saw with the 2995. maybe little more

Reactions: 1 person
to my understanding the 2995 is 1x4 and the 2970n2 is 2x8 if i understood it right
so yes i see the 2970 being a little better in output.
No, they both have an 8 mosfet final section but the 2970 has 2 board finals and the 2995 only hasd one final on the board.

cobra 2k w/ a 2 pill amp will be about the same as what u saw with the 2995. maybe little more
A Cobra 2000 and a TS500 will do almost double a 2995, and leave headroom.

10-4, I used to run a Cobra 2000 and a Midnight Special 250 and used it on the low side with a 10w dk, into a XF40012HD base amp....this was the combo I ran for a few years....did a great job ran together, until my PS died I ran the 2 pill with....always ran my amps at a low dk and had a lot of swing......did good until the PS went down..

Couple months later I went to a 2995dx radio...

I had the 2995dx setup to dk 10 watts on the bottom end and I used this to drive that 4 pill HD, and it did ok I guess saw my amp swing 900 watts...
I ran it like this for awhile until I sold the big stuff...

But the Cobra 2000, 2 pill going into the 4 pill hd did the better job among the 2 setups.....

359, I don't no where u get I was driving my stuff hard....

I was running it according to what the paperwork said that came with the XF40012HD base amp...
You can also check out the xf amps on there website too..

By the way, I don't have the 2995dx or the amp anymore....

Those websites cater to the balls to the wall super trucker mobile applications .... You're trying to keep your neighbors happy.

359, I ran those amps when I had my antenna on the mountain...

Since the antenna has been here at the shack, it hasn't had any fire in the wire...sold all the big stuff a year ago now..

The 4 pill HD amp, ask someone who runs one of these amps, and see how many dk watts they use to drive one of those amps..

I had a 400 12 HD, it is 4x 2879s with a class b bias and a power supply.
X force said no more than 300 watts dead key from the amp, I do not remember what the max peak input was but it was a lot.
Yes they could make 900 peak out because they used a unregulated power supply and the voltage would pull down to 14/15 volts under load.
At that point it was getting dirty and sounded better at around 550/600 out.

Jeff

My local tech claims he has had a few failed N2's come across his bench, says that they don't stand up too well to abuse. If it was me I would run it at 3/4 output, the guy on the other end won't likely notice the difference anyway. And I would make sure the SWR was as low as possible also, some rumors out there that mosfets don't like a mismatch. I have no first hand experience with them, just some things I picked up when I was considering buying one.

There was some issues that I believe have been resolved. As you said Mosfets don't like high swr or to be over driven. That is why I recommend a good alignment and keep the output stock. JMO.

There was some issues that I believe have been resolved. As you said Mosfets don't like high swr or to be over driven. That is why I recommend a good alignment and keep the output stock. JMO.

Good advice here oatmeal, covert it, align it, use it ... don't fall prey to some "peak & tune".

It really depends on how bad the power lines are emitting rf. You can have the electric company come out and look at it of its a problem. The receive on these radios may be a little noisy, but I would think the noise blanker will remedy most of it as long as it's not terrible.

10-4, any u guys had that Schottky Diodes installed in a radio for cutting the noise down ?..or maybe its a receive upgrade..

By the way, any u guys had a problem with your N2 radio running a little warm, and had to put fans on it ?...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.