• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The old FCC issued cb call signs

In the 60's I worked under a friends license as "unit 2" his call was 5W1873, later I got my own call, KCJ6684, the wife's (girl friend at the time) call was KKK2298. We communicated on the CB since she had no phone and were known as the "lovers of channel 19".

Reactions: binrat
KJH 1739. Must have been from 1975 or 76. It is engraved on the inside of my Realistic TRC490 Navaho SSB.

There's another thread on here covering this same theme. We ought to merge them.

KLK-5762 1968 Ran a Browning 23s/9 transmitter and R2700A receiver, Knight T-175, Drake W-4 wattmeter Rohn 32' tower with Mosely double stacked vertical beams. Back then it was a pretty decent set-up.

That's weird....I bought my first CB in 74 from a local Radio Shack, and didn't have a license... Like said earlier, there was a card you had to fill out inside the radio's box, and send in with $4 to get your license...Shortly after that, around the time the 40 channel radios came out is when they dropped the license requirement.

The 40 channel CBs were available in late '76 and the local stores were closing out 23 channel models in early '77 as I recall. As I wrote in a prior post, we bought CBs for farm two-way radio use in early 1980 and we did have to request a license. Before its five year term was up, the "license by rule" automatic licensing that is in existence to this day was implemented. As I recall, "license by rule" was part of a larger bit of legislation that allowed for ten year license terms, the amateur radio VE program, and so on. Most likely "license by rule" was adopted in 1983 or thereabouts, so there were probably at least six years between the authorization of 40 channels and the cessation of individual licenses.

Does anyone know of a data base that still has the old callsigns that the FCC used to give out, just wondering if they were still around or if they threw them away when they went to no license?
If you really want to find out, the FCC might have sent the record to be stored on Microfilm. The Library of Congress might have that in storage.

My fathers' call was KCK 187 but, hows about when CB exploded and they were doing the self-licensing thing; I think it was the letter "K" plus your initials and 5 digit zip code and you had to identify at the beginning and end of each transmission.

I believe that the K plus your zip code was meant to be a temporary license to operate until you got your "Offical" license from the FCC. I remember doing that in 1977 when I applied for my license. They started that because they were so swamped by applications that it took months to receive your certificate from them. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated