• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Search for the Perfect Antenna . . .

Are you charting the changes a single adjustment makes across all the bands, or just kinda winging it?

Charted. But didn't make single adjustments.
Took initial readings. All showed long. Shortened all a little. Not one at a time. Raising and lowering the pole wasn't that easy.
All readings still long. Shortened all some more. And so on.
Lengthened when necessary. Until I gave up at the readings shown in post #52.

That really doesn't look all that promising after looking at their claims and your numbers.

Have you ever checked to see if you live on an ancient burial ground or something? I think I read in qst that lost souls can detune an antenna?

Reactions: binrat
That really doesn't look all that promising after looking at their claims and your numbers.

Have you ever checked to see if you live on an ancient burial ground or something? I think I read in qst that lost souls can detune an antenna?

Not a burial ground but an old oil field. Maybe it's something in the soil. (n)

Or my lost soul. :eek:

Am pretty bummed out. It's usable using a tuner but I shouldn't have to. Most report achieving a 1:1 on every band. And less than 1.5 across most of them.

And something else. Even with the included matchbox and 5 ferrite cores, I experienced wavering SWR's which I assume was caused by CMC. Something I don't have with my endfed. :confused:

Did you open up the transformer to see if things looked ok?

Appears to be.

IMG_0447.JPG

Sorry to say, but past experience with multi-band antennas due to interaction and because the tuning is a combined impedance.
You tune the highest band First...then next band etc...changing all at once has never worked for me...You go thru each band to best...then go back again to tweak out the changes.
The transformer/balun most likely has traces on bottom of board to make connections
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Sorry to say, but past experience with multi-band antennas due to interaction and because the tuning is a combined impedance.
You tune the highest band First...then next band etc...changing all at once has never worked for me...You go thru each band to best...then go back again to tweak out the changes.
The transformer/balun most likely has traces on bottom of board to make connections
All the Best
Gary

I was afraid of that. I knew the best way would be one band at a time but raising and lowering the pole and walking to and from my station in the house wasn't appealing to my old legs. Perhaps I'll leave the pole at 6' and use an 18' jumper to tune it next time.
Beginning at 10 meters, one band at a time. Then once all are done, take a look at 10 meters again and adjust if necessary. Then 12. Then . . .
Then go back and check 10 meters again. And adjust if necessary. Then 12. Then . . .

Or get my hacksaw and order something else. :p

The instructions for the 1836 say to start tuning from the outside, but the 1838 says to start at the inside. I thought that was strange, but I've never tuned one before.

The instructions for the 1836 say to start tuning from the outside, but the 1838 says to start at the inside. I thought that was strange, but I've never tuned one before.

Ah! At least I did that right. I started on the outside. :) (Have the 1836).
The instructions aren't the best. A little confusing in parts.

Sorry to hear this. I know how you must feel, you buy this new antenna and expect to go on the air and it gives you problems. I wonder if you can send it back?

(y)
Sorry to hear this. I know how you must feel, you buy this new antenna and expect to go on the air and it gives you problems. I wonder if you can send it back?

Thanks, Low Boy.
I checked HRO's return policy. 10 days from date of purchase. I got it in December. :(
I'll likely hang onto it and restring it with new wire and try again someday. Not anytime soon.
Unless someone wants to give me $75 for it. (y) That does not include the cheap, frayed wire. It will be a tangled mess when I dismantle the antenna to ship and will go in the trash. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.