• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Search for the Perfect Antenna . . .

Riv71: My penny's worth.
All the Best
Gary

That's several dollars' worth, Gary. All well spent and invested on this end. (y)
Thanks for taking the time to help.
It probably is a combination of all those things.

The only other thing I can come up with is that the holes in the fiberglass beams weren't drilled in the proper locations. This would explain the confusing lengths as well as my not being able to tune it properly the first time through. If I were more patient I'd start over a third time, exhaust all possibilities and work this out. But I'm not. A trait I'm not proud of.

Guess I'll just string a few hundred feet of wire all over my house, fence and trees, buy an expensive tuner, live with my mic biting me each time I transmit and grin and bear it while I wait for Stargun Antennas to come out with a 20 meter model. ;)

Get one of Joe's Cobra seniors & a good manual tuner with a Balun Designs
4 to1 balun & have at it.
Had this combo up for a long time & had satisfactory results.
PS: Don't skimp on the tuner- Palstar, Nye Viking,Murch2. etc.

Get one of Joe's Cobra seniors & a good manual tuner with a Balun Designs
4 to1 balun & have at it.
Had this combo up for a long time & had satisfactory results.
PS: Don't skimp on the tuner- Palstar, Nye Viking,Murch2. etc.

Joe's Cobra seniors? (n)

You won't be happy with a long wire. I agree with oldtymer if you are wanting to string up wire. I got the 4:1/9:1 combo unun and it works well enough after adding a choke at the shack. There is no reason an internal tuner won't be plenty if you spend a little effort tuning the wire.

I guess oldtymer was speaking of a g5rvish antenna, and a manual tuner would be necessary. I guess I should have clicked his link first.

Last edited:
You won't be happy with a long wire. I agree with oldtymer if you are wanting to string up wire. I got the 4:1/9:1 combo unun and it works well enough after adding a choke at the shack. There is no reason an internal tuner won't be plenty if you spend a little effort tuning the wire.

I guess oldtymer was speaking of a g5rvish antenna, and a manual tuner would be necessary. I guess I should have clicked his link first.

Yeah, I really don't want to purchase an external tuner. And I don't think a long wire is right for me.

I've got a long wire, and I'm on 10 through 80 meters every single day and night. I'm on the radio at least 4+ hrs a day. My fish finder on my IC 7300 is lit up always with signals. I've got a 139' EFHW 10-80 from MyAntennas, and it freaking rocks. The internal tuner on my radio handles it well. You can't even see the black wire and it's already handled 55+ mph wind. This storm it survived tore several roofs off house's. One house is my neighbors approx 100 yards from my wire. Nobody could convince me that wires suck. I get excellent reports ALWAYS, unless the bands take a dive. I can prove them wrong every day. I've got it strung up at only 30' in a inverted L.
I'll be in the shack 73.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riverman
I've got a long wire, and I'm on 10 through 80 meters every single day and night. I'm on the radio at least 4+ hrs a day. My fish finder on my IC 7300 is lit up always with signals. I've got a 139' EFHW 10-80 from MyAntennas, and it freaking rocks. The internal tuner on my radio handles it well. You can't even see the black wire and it's already handled 55+ mph wind. This storm it survived tore several roofs off house's. One house is my neighbors approx 100 yards from my wire. Nobody could convince me that wires suck. I get excellent reports ALWAYS, unless the bands take a dive. I can prove them wrong every day. I've got it strung up at only 30' in a inverted L.
I'll be in the shack 73.

Cool. (y) I don't have room for one that long. Really need something about half that long. I have a LNR Precision end fed 10-40 but it is only rated at 25 watts. Have been looking at MyAntennas.com and these:

https://hyendcompany.nl/antenna/multiband_40201510_m#main

So many terms are used incorrectly that I can't even remember what is correct. What I meant was a long wire that is typically over 1 wavelength long and hooked to a manual tuner will not make you happy.

Some sort of end fed that is coax fed with a choke to eliminate cmc on in the shack would be less frustrating. Half wave or random? The choice yours.

Reactions: fogdog
screw em!

:ROFLMAO:
Mostly it's just friendly ribbing because I never use a counterpoise with mine and defy the laws of science claiming great success despite half of the antenna missing. Will likely return to my end fed stomping grounds unless I opt for this:

MFJ Octopus (Nope. Forget that. No more MFJ!) :confused: Maybe homemade. :whistle:

Last edited:
Reactions: fogdog
So many terms are used incorrectly that I can't even remember what is correct. What I meant was a long wire that is typically over 1 wavelength long and hooked to a manual tuner will not make you happy.

Some sort of end fed that is coax fed with a choke to eliminate cmc on in the shack would be less frustrating. Half wave or random? The choice yours.

I knew what you were referring to. (y)
The end fed is my preference because it generally doesn't require a tuner. Or much of one.

:ROFLMAO:
Mostly it's just friendly ribbing because I never use a counterpoise with mine and defy the laws of science claiming great success despite half of the antenna missing. Will likely return to my end fed stomping grounds unless I opt for this:

MFJ Octopus (Nope. Forget that. No more MFJ!) :confused: Maybe homemade. :whistle:
It's all good. Take your time and do lots of research for what you need for your particular application. I know the wire is not the best, but lots of folks use them, and they work. For me it was easy, cuz I'm an old man, and setting this thing up wasn't that difficult. Oh I would love to have a 100ft tower with a beam the size of my house, but hey I know that will never happen.
The main thing is getting your antenna up, and getting on the air. It's a hobby, but some take it way to serious at times. I'm no exception, and I have to remind myself of that. Just get out there and enjoy.
I had fun today talking with an old guy who was 86, Korean war Vet, and was very interesting. He was 50 miles north of Klamath falls Oregon. Not far from my hometown in Calif. I'm in TN, so it was nice talking with somebody out there. Enjoy it Brother. 73 de Tom

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.