• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Search for the Perfect Antenna . . .

Can't believe I've had this antenna nearly a month and it's still in the box. o_O Christmas, birthdays, being sick twice and the winter weather have all conspired against me. :(

Six half-wave dipoles, one feedline, and one mast in just a small area. Perfect for a homeowner with restrictions and limited options.

Or so it seems.
Will report back one of these days. (y)

Finally!
A nice day for antenna work! (y)

Got the cobweb 80% done. Just have to add wire for the 6 meter portion and go through the tuning process.

Cobweb.JPG

Everyone says these are a snap to assemble but it took me the better part of an afternoon and still not done. That said, it looks good and is actually smaller than what I had pictured in my mind. Am excited to get it put up.

And wouldn't you know? Rain forecast for tomorrow followed by cold front. o_O

Last edited:
Well, what began as an encouraging undertaking on Day 1 changed course on Day 2 when I noticed that I was short some flat washers. Not a big deal. Just another reminder of MFJ's poor quality control. However, things quickly went downhill from there.

1. The wire supplied is cheap and, upon closer inspection, frays easily at the hold-down points.
2. The 6 meter portion is clearly a last minute add-on and hokey as all get-out.
3. I could've lived with those shortcomings and would have, but the tuning phase was the nail in the coffin. Instructions say to tune the antenna at a height of at least 6'. I tuned at 12', raising and lowering the antenna on a painter's pole for each adjustment. Meticulously removing only small lengths of wire each time, the very best I could come up with was this:

20 meters: 2.6 @ 14.150 1.4 @ 14.250 3.4 @ 14.350
17 meters: 1.1 across the band!
15 meters: 3.1 @ 21.250 2.6 @ 21.325 3.4 @ 21.450
12 meters: 2.5 across the band
10 meters: 2.3 @ 28.300 1.5 @ 28.400 2.7 @ 28.500
6 meters: 4.3 @ 50.125

Adjusting a single band affects the others making this a Rubik's Cube of tuning. o_O

Hence the reference in my previous post to a picture of a hacksaw. And the cobweb's not-so-peaceful demise. :D

But, all is not as dire as it seems. For anyone looking for a GREAT 17 meter antenna, I highly recommend the cobweb! (y)

Last edited:
Hopefully not a total loss yet Riv: Which band did you start on? Plus when removing or adding wire you did this on both sides of the feedpoint?
Trying to help OM
All the Best
Gary

Installed all wiring.
Began tuning on 20 meters. Yes, kept equal lengths on both sides.

Already have the PDF you attached. (y)

There's a lot of interaction between the bands. Might strip this cheap wire off and start over with some insulated copper wire and maybe just set it up for 10, 15 and 20 meters. That will give more space between the wires.

Here's a thought...Try adding a short "Tail" of wire on the 20m section near the spacer...just rap it around the end/ let it hang down...make it say 2 inches longer on either side of spacer...
Just see what happens!

Here's a thought...Try adding a short "Tail" of wire on the 20m section near the spacer...just rap it around the end/ let it hang down...make it say 2 inches longer on either side of spacer...
Just see what happens!

Tried adding tails to a few when it appeared they were too short. Would help a little but mess up adjacent bands. I think tuning one of these is akin to a monkey writing Gone With the Wind. Given a typewriter and enough time, he'll eventually peck it out.
Quite frankly, I'm pooped and keep eyeing my hacksaw. :cautious:

Yes they'er going to interact...just like fan dipoles will...try getting just 20m and forget checking other bands for now...once 20m acceptable...then move to next lowest band...
Yes a little frustration involved...but got to just stay with it...one band at a time

Did that, Gary.
Started at 20 and worked my way through. Then started again because the first ones had changed. And so on and so forth.
And I understand when an antenna is long or short, when to shorten and when to add.
The numbers I showed were the best I could get. Am thinking the matchbox has a problem. What's crazy is 17 meters never changed. (n)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated