• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The whole truth, and nothing but the truth - Counterpoise

Ground plane, counter poise, radials makes little difference as along as you apply the correct 'thinking' to the specific configuration.

I kind of glanced over this a few days ago but didn't really say anything then as my mind was elsewhere looking for information on one of the terms actually mentioned.

What you call something is irrelevant until you use the wrong terminology to try and explain something. Knowing what is happening is great, but explaining it requires also knowing the proper terminology, otherwise you are simply spreading confusing and misleading information.

I guess I could call it anything I wanted, ground plane, radials, how about Mike, I like that name for today. If I called it Mike would that really be of use to you or whoever was trying to learn?

Take counterpoise for example, do a search, and find examples where it is used. You will see wildly different uses of the term from a wire hanging from a walkie talkie antenna to wires put underground near the surface underneath a horizontally mounted antenna. With research we found there are a very specific and limited set of conditions for what is actually a counterpoise. Calling something that does not meet these conditions a counterpoise does nothing but spread misinformation and confusion.

The DB

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1